HELP!!!! Out of PBW!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrb

Reaction score
I'm bottling and I juast ran out of PBW. I'm gonna brew Monday, but I don't know what to use as a substitute.

I go about big one scoop per 2.5-3 gallons. I don't think you need to be an exact as you do with sanitizer.

Honestly, you may even end up moving to OxyClean. I like it MUCH better than PBW; it's easier to work with and it's less expensive too.

Bleach is another good alternative. 1 tablespoon/gallon cool water and time. I'll soak my fermentors O/N and they are sparkling clean in the am. It needs to be GOOD bleach - slight yellow/green tinge is the good stuff.

I use bleach/hot water rinse, nefer had any issues with infection. When I bottle I use a small ammount of bleach and wash them in the dishwasher, no infections there either. Never used anything but bleach.

Pol

I like Oxyclean to clean the brewery but havent ever used it for a sanitizer. that stuff needs to be rinsed VERY well to get the film off.
JJ

Back