High gravity beer naturally carbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boku

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain Imperial IPA based on the recipe found here by TwoHeadsBrewing (thanks!!). Everything is going great but have one question concerning carbonation, I’ll be naturally carbonating in my cornie but have read that high gravity beers sometimes do not naturally carbonated because of the high alcohol content (this is on it’s way to 9%); as the yeast are all tired or died off from the toxic environment. To help over come this should I add a package of US -05 in the bottling bucket to assure complete carbonation? Or can I count on my current yeast to do the job (pitched with two packets of US-05)

If it's been sitting for a long time (months) you may need to pitch more, otherwise I think you'll be fine. I've never had a problem with an OG under 1.100

The recipe calls for 28 days in the primary, but I may cut it a little short if my gravity reading is on point, then 14 days dry hopping so I am only a month and a half from pitching. Thanks and I'll give it a try.

Back