Best Brewing books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvino

Reaction score
I am looking for some good reading material that explains the all grain process. I have brewed extract batches with specialty grains just never all grain. Appreciate your recommendations.

I would start with Palmer's "How to Brew". It's the best and most up-to-date general purpose homebrewing book available. For more in depth beer nerdiness I like Noonan's "Brewing Lager Beer". Don't let the title fool you, much of the information can be applied to ales.

+1 How to Brew

I read several others but use How to Brew as a reference when I forget something.

Thanks for the suggestions!! Any others?? I'm going to order books tomorrow. Nice to combine shipping on multiple items. Again, thanks. I appreciate all the help available in this community.

Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy Of Homebrewing is classic. A little dated in some respects, but it is the book that changed everything.

+1 to those two books and I would add in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels

Designing great beers and how to brew would be the two essentials that will give you the basic fundamentals and couldn't be recommended higher.

If you wanted an easy to follow recipe book with great recipes to add to it the Jamil and Palmer 'brewing classic styles is a good addition.

How to Brew says it all.

Get Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles for sure. The recipe does make a big difference, and I am amazed at how good his recipes are.

At some point, if you think you will get into Belgian Beers, you will want to pick up Brew Like a Monk. Not much basic brewing info, but very entertaining and enlightening look at the history of that beer style.

OK, I have to chime in here and kick up the geek level a bit. For anyone that is a serious all grain brewer, two of my favorite books and ones that I continually refer back to are:
Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beers" and Dave Miller's "Homebrewing Guide"

Dave Miller's book is a more on the brewing aspect (mashing, fermenting, etc), while Ray Daniels' book is really good for how to put together a beer to fit a particular style. Although a short coming of the book is it does not address the Belgian brewing style.

For Belgian brewing, Stan Hieronymous' "Brew Like a Monk" is indispensable. but I would be remiss if I didn't mention Randy Mosher for "Radical Brewing", which is an awesome book.

My 2-cents.

Jeff

I got a little discouraged at one point after some dumper batches. Randy Mosher's Radical brewing got me excited to brew again.

Great book!

First book i ever read on home brewing was dave millers second more advanced book "how to make better beers" i think was the tittle... it was the only one the local library had in stock.. more in depth than most, but excellent blend of science and practical application.

I kind of skipped the first how to books, but i have a good chemistry/biology background in high school, and process control is my industry.... if you don't enjoy more complex technical stuff, best start elsewhere, or you will be bored by the time you get to the practical sections.

Back