2 dumb newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
Hi.

1) My beer is in primary fermentation now. the airlock started to actively bubble within 12 hours of pitching yeast. I was seeing 1 bubble every 3 seconds. Now, after 3 full days, it's down to 1 bubble every 7 seconds. Is this slowing down too fast?? or am I ok?

2) When I rack to secondary, can you tast the beer at all?? I know if won't be great, but can you tell if your brew is on the right track by the taste this early?

thanks..

you are ok. did you take a gravity reading before you pitched the yeast? bubbling airlocks are not always the best indicator of a finished ferment.

taste it every chance you get. it is a good gage as to where your beer is heading.

It sounds like you're doing fine.

Leave it at least a week if you can although primary fermentation can sometimes be almost done in 48 from the start.

Taste your brew at every chance possible. It will be great You'll fall in love with it.

You should take gravity readings so you don't need to guess or count bubbles.

Well, I did a real newbie mistake. I was so excited while making the beer that I forgot to take a OG reading. Heck,I don't even know how to use the thing, soI will now have to guess when to rack to secondary... Anyone ever heard of Whirlfloc??

Whirlfloc is a clearing agent. You normally add it in the last 10-15 minutes of boil to help clear out protiens.

I wouldn't worry about the hydro reading. I didn't have a hydro for my first 2 batches and they came out fine. I believe Walker-San says they only make you worry.

Just leave it in primary for 7-10 days then rack to secondary if you are using that. If you are going straight to bottle from primary, you can leave it in the primary a bit longer to help clear out any sediment

I have normally tasted my beer about 5 times before it gets to secondary or keg. I normally down the rest of the trial jar after i've taken a Hydro reading. I'm always pleased with the taste although it's flat and bitter and cloudy it's nice to see how it's progressing;)

Geordiepete said:
I have normally tasted my beer about 5 times before it gets to secondary or keg. I normally down the rest of the trial jar after i've taken a Hydro reading. I'm always pleased with the taste although it's flat and bitter and cloudy it's nice to see how it's progressing;)

Spot on. I poured myself a glas of the goblin ale at keg time. Mmmmm, beer.

Tasting your ale as it progresses is very important. Taking a hydrometer reading gives you an excuse to make it a large sample. Original gravity is important if you are doing all grain, but for extract 99% of the time, you can go by the calculated value.

Regardless, a hydrometer reading is the only way to know your brew is finished fermenting rather than stuck.

Back