Partial Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really sure if I understand the question.

But, for extract it doesn't matter how much water you use. You are using the extract to meet a certain OG. You are supplementing extract for a smaller grain bill.

The water ratio, which should be about 1.25qt/lb for grain is to mash the grain. You may want to read the partial mash sticky thread.

This does not apply to the LME or DME you are using. Those would be added to the main boil kettle just as the boil starts. There is no mix ratio required other than what your recipe calls for.

The water ratio, which should be about 1.25qt/lb for grain is to mash the grain. You may want to read the partial mash sticky thread.

This does not apply to the LME or DME you are using. Those would be added to the main boil kettle just as the boil starts. There is no mix ratio required other than what your recipe calls for.

very true! If you have 5 lbs of LME and 4 lbs of grains and you need 1qt/lb then you only need 4 quarts water....

Yeah, the reason I was asking was because I was steeping like 6lbs of grains and didnt know if I needed to add more water for the DME. Previously I was only steeping like 2lbs max and didnt think twice about it. Thanks guys, I looked around in the threads but I didnt find what I was looking for.

Back