Trellis on an Eaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When it comes to setting up a trellis on the eaves of a house or garage, for those of you (myself included) who know nothing about roof construction, i thought this might be helpful, as i've done some searching and couldn't find any related info.

Eaves_Cross-Section.JPG

I had originally intended to secure an eye-bolt into the soffit area, until realizing that, depending on the construction, that area could actually be "hollow" and unfit to bear the weight of a trellis system. So, at this point i plan on installing eye-bolts into the underside of the fascia board through the fascia cover, as i've depicted in the diagram. Additionally, i do plan on adding clear silicone sealant in order to provide water resistance.

Does anyone who's done this type of work see any problems with this process?

Looks good. As long as you get the anchors into solid wood, you should be fine. Most soffit material will not support any weight for an extended period of time.

Back