WalMart has cheap cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
Stopped in at WalMart on Thursday night and saw they still had the Musselman's apple cider but the price was rolled back to $1.97 a gallon! I promptly grabbed a cart and loaded it up with 11 gallons. 10 for me and 1 for the kids.:ban:

May try and head back on Payday and see if there is any more. Obviously, I don't know if this is everywhere or just my local store because they had some left over.

I've only been in a Walmart once, but I just might check the local. I missed out on cider season this year.

anyone used this musselman's "cider" before? i have a batch of it in the fermenter right now. as i suspected, samples taste like cloudy apple juice from concentrate, not at all like actual cider. (nothing i didnt expect, i bought it at walmart, not a local farm.)

just wondering if anyone has had good success with Musselmans cider

anyone used this musselman's "cider" before? i have a batch of it in the fermenter right now. as i suspected, samples taste like cloudy apple juice from concentrate, not at all like actual cider. (nothing i didnt expect, i bought it at walmart, not a local farm.)

just wondering if anyone has had good success with Musselmans cider

Hmmm, label says 100% juice, not from concentrate. My first batch is aging so I can't comment on taste yet. Perhaps the taste difference is from pasteurization?

oh yeah it does say "not from concentrate". well, either way it doesnt taste like fresh cider, but at the price and availability still seems like a good resource. still want to hear from someone who has used it

What yeast would you use for this cider? I would like something that left a little sweetness behind. Any suggestions?:mug:

ran by Wallyworld tonight after work. Evidently I hit the one WM in the area that doesn't carry much in the way of food. :(

Anybody know if the sale is still on? If so, I'll try another WM up the block tomorrow. I'd love to stock up while it's cheap to further my mad scientist experimenting. It's either that or buy the "way too expensive, but at least it comes with a 'free' carboy" glass gallon jug at Whole Foods. Don't they know that Christmas is over? That stuff should be in deep discount by now!

I know that Ed's recipe is VERY popular here. But me and my SMWBO thought it was just a little bit off and not to our liking. It is very close. So I have messed with it a little keeping the following:

1. Yeast - the same - Montrachet
2. Additional Sugar - The same
3. Procedure the same.

The main difference is Tree top vs Cider.

I have found that if I add 2 gallons of cider (I like Louisberg)
And then add the other 3 gallons of Tree Top... it strikes a really nice balance. It adds a little sweetness but still has that dry finish. I think it rocks.

It is cloudy and not clear like Ed's, wish that it was. We love the way it tastes. I get a lot more people willing to try it. And they love it.

So my point is ... Louisburg is 7$ a gallon .. and if Wally World has a good cider for 2$ then I am going for it.
I keep 5 in the Keezer and 10 fermenting/conditioning at all times. It goes quick.

T$

What yeast would you use for this cider? I would like something that left a little sweetness behind. Any suggestions?:mug:

Most yeasts will eat through any juice. My best cider I fermented with US-05 and stopped it by putting it in the kegerator before gravity dropped too far. Using juice only without sugar will help it from drying out a little bit.

Back