American IPA Belma's Lovely IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herky21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Yeast Starter
1 Smack Pack
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Bubble gum and melon
This turned out very well. I received about 20 oz. of Belma leaf hops for the $5.25 I paid for 1 lb. Paired well with Citra. Very well. SOme of my friends have said this is one of the best IPAs they've ever had.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.5 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 14.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - First Wort 80.0 min Hop 4 17.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 15.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 15.2 IBUs
3.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 18.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 8.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -
3.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 9.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 8.0 oz
Sparge Water: 5.55 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 20.07 qt of water at 165.7 F 152.0 F 75 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 5.55 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Pressure/Weight: 4.46 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 4.46 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

NOTES: Strike with 5 gallons at 165.7, hit about 152. Added 1/3 tsp. of gypsum, after 30 minutes, added 1/2 tsp. of CaCo3. PH between 5.0 and 5.4.
Batched with 5.5 gallons at around 164. 2d mash hit 157F for about 5 minutes. Used lactic acid.
FWH with .5 oz of Belma.

Moved to secondary on 12/12/12 around 4:00 PM. Racked onto 3 oz. of whole leaf Belma. The FG of 1.010 has been reached.

I'm glad you like your beer. For me, Belma is average to below average for use in an American IPA. I've used it with Citra, Warrior, and Amarillo many times. I think the success you received as a hophead is more about hopbursting and using 10 oz. hops in a very low OG IPA. As such, I wouldn't credit your success toward using Belma. You also relied on a very clean yeast and typical IPA grist... good things of course, which any American hop would shine "fairly" well with at 10 total oz. I'll bet this was a very fruity beer with FWH and lots of hopbursting.

Yeah I agree that it isn't the most potent hop per ounce. Usually, brewers measure the cost of a recipe by accounting for the ounces of hops. The cost of the hops is commonly prohibitive when you have large amounts, like 10 oz. Here, the cost per ounce is extremely low when a lb goes for $ 5.25. I adjusted to 10 oz. After reading feedback by others about the weakness of the overall hop flavor of belma. It made sense to me just to double the hops, given the low price.

That being said, I posted this for anyone who has Belma hops to use. It is a session able, extremely fruity recipe. Despite your obvious dislike for Belma Hops and your semi-compliment-criticism of the grist, it is a good recipe because it makes a beer that is drinkable and delicious.

What kind of fruity flavors are you getting? On a scale of 1-10 how fruity? I love fruity ipas

Yeah, my problem isn't with the brewer. This seems like a good recipe. My problem is with the hop. Like you, I also bought a pound of Belma, which I had to use. And to me it almost tastes like some variation of weakened Citra + Cascade + The worst European hop ever for an IPA.

Idk i made a belma smash that keg was gone in a week.. and my belma cascade pale was gone in 3 days(friends helped) belma and cascade play so well together.. so far i think its a decent hop(maybe a little light for an ipa but lends very good flavor)

For a pale, smash or session this hop is pretty decent

What kind of fruity flavors are you getting? On a scale of 1-10 how fruity? I love fruity ipas

6 weeks in I would've given it a 5.5 out of 10. It is very fruity, probably melon, a little citrus and osme bubble gum. It has really unique fruity flavors that I've enjoyed. I had it in the fridge sitting between Ruination and Founders Centennial and this is what I was picking up.

Yeah, my problem isn't with the brewer. This seems like a good recipe. My problem is with the hop. Like you, I also bought a pound of Belma, which I had to use. And to me it almost tastes like some variation of weakened Citra + Cascade + The worst European hop ever for an IPA.

I guess I just liked it. It seemed like your comment was missing the point I was making. That myself, and my friends who like hoppy beers, really like this one because of the unique, fruity flavor, not simply because it has a high number of IBUs. It just tasted really good. I know what you mean though. I've read through enough of the original Belma Hop thread ot see that a good number of peoploe didn't care for Belma on its own. I'd say it pairs well though and so far I've liked it. Came out well in a cream ale too.

I have a lb of belma and looking for a recipe to use them in. Haven't seen a lot of recipes out there with positive reviews. So I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks for the recipe.

I have a lb of belma and looking for a recipe to use them in. Haven't seen a lot of recipes out there with positive reviews. So I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks for the recipe.

I would recommend using more of another hop with it. This recipe is good if you want to taste what Belma is about. I've greatly preferred it in session ales over IPAs as well.

I've used Belma in several more recipes (2013 and 2014). Its not my favorite for IPAs, but if it's part of a blend of like 5 hops (e.g. Amarillo, Citra, Columbus, etc.) I have really liked the results. It is actually one of my favorite bittering hops, moreso than for aroma. It seems to get that orange pithe like bitterness that I have been chasing.

Belma seems more suited for the Saison/Cream Ale/ESB world for aroma (if that can be termed a world).

^Agreed on using it for those mentioned styles instead of an AIPA.

I combined it with different variations of Citra and Amarillo in a couple American IPAs and did not enjoy it.

I've used Belma in several more recipes (2013 and 2014). Its not my favorite for IPAs, but if it's part of a blend of like 5 hops (e.g. Amarillo, Citra, Columbus, etc.) I have really liked the results. It is actually one of my favorite bittering hops, moreso than for aroma. It seems to get that orange pithe like bitterness that I have been chasing.

Belma seems more suited for the Saison/Cream Ale/ESB world for aroma (if that can be termed a world).

I'm planning on pairing it with Hull Melon this summer in a slightly tart Saison with honeydew. Can't wait to see how those flavors meld. I'll also be doing a small batch SMASH for a club project. We'll see how it turns out!

^Agreed on using it for those mentioned styles instead of an AIPA.

I combined it with different variations of Citra and Amarillo in a couple American IPAs and did not enjoy it.

ya, it does more subtracting than adding to an AIPA. Good for FWH bittering in a hopbursted recipe, but in that situation you aren't really dealing w its aroma.

Latest posts

Back