Caramel Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldmate....do you remember how long you let it sit in primary? Im going on 6 weeks on the 30th. Im still seeing airlock activity, althought it every 30-40 sec's.

From memory I left it until it cleared then transferred, backsweetened and bottled all in one go. Rehydrating with cold water won't matter at all as mentioned above. :) Really happy to hear you're all enjoying this as much as I am!

I read when using honey to carbonate, 4.7 ounces of honey is the equivalent of the normal four ounces of priming sugar for a five gallon batch. Does using 750ml of honey dramatically increase the risk of over-carbonation and bottle bombs?

Thanks Oldmate. This is a great tasting hard cider! Ill be making this again for sure!

I read when using honey to carbonate, 4.7 ounces of honey is the equivalent of the normal four ounces of priming sugar for a five gallon batch. Does using 750ml of honey dramatically increase the risk of over-carbonation and bottle bombs?

The honey will still carb at the same rate, the reason you are using so much honey is to backsweeten the cider as well. That is why the recipe suggests pasteurising the cider to prevent bottle bombs yet still having a sweet, sparkling cider.

My batch has been in the fermenter for 5+ weeks and I was thinking about bottling. Gravity reading is about 1.006 and it tastes like champagne. Is it time to bottle or is there any reason to wait? Airlock activity is 2 bubbles per minute.

My batch has been in the fermenter for 5+ weeks and I was thinking about bottling. Gravity reading is about 1.006 and it tastes like champagne. Is it time to bottle or is there any reason to wait? Airlock activity is 2 bubbles per minute.

With that amount of airlock activity you could wind up over-carbing it or just making bottle bombs. Every week that goes by will help.

I haven't tasted yours but I under-carbed mine compared to how I carbonate beer and it tasted great. You could use 1/2 to 1/3 or the usual bottling sugar and life would be great.

Or if you keg just don't even worry about it.

I already bottled it but it is safely out of the way if the worst should happen. I will check the carbonation every couple of days and pasteurize as soon as possible. Thanks.

Ok just realized I only put 1/5 of the honey into the cider and then bottled. My wife and I decided there shouldn't be a problem with dumping all the bottles, adding the honey, then rebottling and recapping. Anybody see a problem with this attempt at fixing?

If you have pasteurized your beer already, then you have taken down your main defense against infection. The yeast beat the bacteria because there are so many yeast. Sanitation is not sterilization. On the other hand you asked your question 2 days ago and you have probably already done it by now. It might work.

I guess it worked. I hadn't pasteurized it yet, so we dumped, added the honey, rebottled, and pasteurized. The only problem is that we lost all our carbonation when we mixed in all the honey. It's more like wine but still good.

Did you let it sit to carbonate in the bottle? If not it may have been the yeast that you used. If it was a beer yeast strain it may have reached it's ABV limit in primary.

It was carbonated when we dumped it back and stirred the rest of the honey in. But after rebottling the carbonation was gone. Going to try it again the right way soon.

How did the EC-1118 turn out? I just put a batch on using the same yeast. And how long before you saw fermentation? I know its an old post but hopefully you can remember the details!

Oldmate you said any wine or champaign yeast. Well which specific one did you use and has anyone used Nottingham for this? I didn't see this answer the only reason I'm asking. And also is one package enough for 5 gal? If so would you split into 1/5 of package for gal recipe? Thanks in advance.

Oldmate you said any wine or champaign yeast. Well which specific one did you use and has anyone used Nottingham for this? I didn't see this answer the only reason I'm asking. And also is one package enough for 5 gal? If so would you split into 1/5 of package for gal recipe? Thanks in advance.

Here in Australia we aren't as lucky in our choices of wine/champagne yeast strain. Most brew shops sell a generic 'Wine Yeast' bulk packet as there are very few people around that brew wine and meads. I used the generic brand and still do because I like the result it gives me. Maybe someone else who has tried it can help you out with the Nottingham, but I don't see why it would be any different. From what I can tell the Nottingham is a very good yeast for cider so I recommend giving it a go and reporting back :)

One packet is enough for up to 5 gal. There is no need to split it at all, but if you go over 5 gal I would either be making a good starter or putting 2 packets in.

oldmate said:
Here in Australia we aren't as lucky in our choices of wine/champagne yeast strain. Most brew shops sell a generic 'Wine Yeast' bulk packet as there are very few people around that brew wine and meads. I used the generic brand and still do because I like the result it gives me. Maybe someone else who has tried it can help you out with the Nottingham, but I don't see why it would be any different. From what I can tell the Nottingham is a very good yeast for cider so I recommend giving it a go and reporting back :)

One packet is enough for up to 5 gal. There is no need to split it at all, but if you go over 5 gal I would either be making a good starter or putting 2 packets in.

Thanks am starting today and will report progress.

I have used the "pappers stove-top pasteurization" technique successfully, but I have a batch carbonating right now and was wondering if anybody knows of another option to kill off the yeast after the desired carbonation level is achieved.

since i have a couple of empty secondaries i think ill try and make 4 gallons of this either tonight or tomorrow since i have excess sugar on hand and 4 gallons of juice isnt that expensive. This sounds really tasty.

Thought I would share a few things about my carmel cider I made at the end of January. I had made about 5 bottles worth, plus a few clear pop top soda bottles. It has cleared up allot since it was first bottled. It is next to a spiced cider I did around the same time. I'm trying to let these age for a year, but I keep having people ask to try it....we'll see.

ForumRunner_20130630_201000.png

ForumRunner_20130630_201016.jpg

ForumRunner_20130630_201027.png

okay so its all done fermenting. i made a three gallon batch and when i syphoned it off the yeast cake all i got was sulphur!!!!! my god it was tuff to finish syphoning it.

i have not sweetened and pasturized yet, because im wonderinf if i manage to get an infection or what the heck caused that smell.

i used white labs champagne yeast scaled the recipe up to three gallons and let it do its thing until i saw no further signs of fermentation. (about a month) then i racked to secondary. the cider itself tastes like a super sour candy! (hence why im wondering if there was something wrong) but there was no visable signs of an infection WHAT SO EVER. color looks great! its even starting to clear already.

MY QUESTIONS:
Is this some funky flavor that the yeast could have imparted? (champagne yeast kinda smells like farts to me)

has anyone else experienced this?

could I have let my cider sit on the yeast cake for too long?

Sounds normal to me. Cider usually gives off a smell that is often described as 'rhino-farts' due to a lack of nutrients in the must. Leaving it on the yeast cake for too long can impart a yeasty flavour I have found.. might need some excessive aging if the back-sweetening doesn't mask it. How long was it exactly?

I've got 2.5 gallons of cider sitting in my fermentor to be bottled this Saturday. I used champagne yeast and the gravity right now is sitting at around 1.000 and it tastes like a dry white wine with just a hint of apple.

I am dumbing down the recipe since this is my first cider so I am not going to make the caramel syrup but I am going to use frozen apple juice concentrate to sweeten it to where my wife likes the taste. My question is should I boil the FAJC before adding to the bottling bucket or can I just let it defrost and pour it in? I don't see anywhere on the cans where it says the concentrate is pasturized but I am assuming it is. Any thoughts?

I don't want to accidently introduce an infection at the last step of the process.

Just pour it. a lot of the bad stuff do not like being frozen or introduced to a higher alcohol % right away

I made a one gallon batch with some cheap apple juice. It fermented for about 3 weeks before airlock stopped moving. When I tasted it, it was horrible. Smelled like whiskey and tasted like a strong bad wine. Very vinegary.

I have a 5 gallon batch with organic apple juice. It was cloudy even before I started and its not getting any more clear. Airlock activity is very minimal unless I give the carboy a little shake.

Both started at 1.090. Final was around 1 for the treetop. I don't dare pop the airlock on my 5 gallon to measure it in fear of the oxidation I've read in other posts.

How am I supposed to know when its done fermenting? Should I just let it sit in the carboy another month?

I made a one gallon batch with some cheap apple juice. It fermented for about 3 weeks before airlock stopped moving. When I tasted it, it was horrible. Smelled like whiskey and tasted like a strong bad wine. Very vinegary.

I have a 5 gallon batch with organic apple juice. It was cloudy even before I started and its not getting any more clear. Airlock activity is very minimal unless I give the carboy a little shake.

Both started at 1.090. Final was around 1 for the treetop. I don't dare pop the airlock on my 5 gallon to measure it in fear of the oxidation I've read in other posts.

How am I supposed to know when its done fermenting? Should I just let it sit in the carboy another month?

Don't use the airlock to determine fermentation, use your hydrometer. Cider can ferment down to around .998 if you let it run the whole way through. Your first batch sounds like it might have been infected, it shouldn't taste like vinegar but it will be quite 'harsh' or 'hot', which you may have mistaken for a vinegary taste? I'm not sure. As for the cloudy batch, you can try adding some pectinase to break down the pectins which cause the haze. It is usually added prior to fermenting though. If that doesn't work out, you can always try to cold crash your batch. The haze won't have an effect on the taste.

So glad this post is still alive and kicking because I would like to try it. A few questions though, I started a 3 gallon batch reusing some Safale s-04 yesterday and no added sugar to avoid a possible "wine taste" and it took right off. Is it too late to add the caramel or should I just wait it out then use the caramel to backsweeten ? And has anyone tried adding a cinnamon stick or six to the secondary ?

Hi Guys,

I've never made cider before, so this will be my first attempt, please parden my ignorance but will this turn out to be sparkling once I bottle it or do i need to do something special, i assume the honey at the end will provide some fermental sugar for the yeast to produce some co2 to carb the cider?

New to brewing, looking to make my first Cider here soon (love Woodchuck Amber). I did an Irish Red Ale as my first brew and it turned out great! I'm wanting to get some local apple cider, but will probably end up with store bought juice instead. I'm going to try to follow the original recipe as close as possible. I'm going to use a plastic primary, then transfer to a glass secondary. I will use a 2nd glass carboy when I backsweeten. I'm planning on transferring to a keg after the honey has all dissolved in the backsweeten process. The keg will be in the fridge at 40 degrees. My question is about the k-sorbate and k-meta. If I'm transferring to the fridge after kegging, will I need to inhibit yeast growth? Can someone explain that part of the process a bit better? I'm going to use the White Labs WLP775 yeast. Thanks everyone!

After following this thread for weeks, and studying it like a 14-year old lingers over his first crush, I have finally bottled the first round of this brew. I'm a bit lit from the "samples and breakage" associated with any bottling process . . . so, I guess a solid success in the end! Here's what I did"

BATCH 2 CARAMEL APPLE
2 Gallons - Whole Foods Pasturized Cider
Yeast: M02 - Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Cider Yeast
Follow Oldmate's recipe (see thread)
Juice OG - 1.056
Batch OG = 1.072 (w caramel syrup, follow "Mike's Caramel Apple" thread)
FG = .996
ABV = 9.98%
Ferment Temp: 70-degrees
Ferment Time: 21 Days

Wow! Dry! Very Dry. Was hoping for more caramel flavoring from the original mix, but I think it was over fermented. I should have taken a sample at 2 weeks with the thief. Back sweetened with caramelized honey as per recipe, as well as 3/4 cup dextrose (boiled in 2 cups H20), and 2-12 oz cans of concentrate, AND . . . right, can you believe I"m saying AND! 10 oz Caramel sauce boiled in 1 cup H20 . . . . outside opinions thought 10% alcohol content took away from the flavor. Bottled and cold-crashing for 2 weeks . . . will see if smooths out and picks up some sweetness to balance the kick!

Next Round: Focus on caramel flavoring in the back-rack process, not in primary. Will try again with only 14 days fermentation to balance dry with needed sweetness expected for caramel apple experience. . . . will also rack to secondary for more settling. The yeast, juice combination retained a lot of suspended matter. A tertiary settle might work well if not bottle conditioning.

Thanks everyone for your posts and the great social-learning process! . . . . anyone done anything with Trader Joe's Spiced Cider?

Quick question, has anyone successfully done step 8 without infection or oxidation. I'm unsure how to mix the honey and cider without causing both.

Back