Is this specific to BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstraight

Reaction score
Good Morning BIAB practitioners,
I have been an all grain brewer for a few years now but recently started researching the BIAB tech for a friend. On another forum dedicated to BIAB their recipes all seem to suggest 90 min. mash and 90 min boil. I know 90 min. mashes and boils are sometimes done in the regular all grain tech, but usually a 60/60 mash/boil is recommended. Is this a standard practice to BIAB? If so please explain. I'd ask the question there but can't figure out how to post on that site.
Thanks for any help!
John

I always do a 90 min mash. Don't do a 90 min boil unless its a big beer. I'd say the mash is more standard for biab then the 90 min boil

I don't think so. The mash and boil plan depends more on the type of beer, grains, etc., than it does on the method. For example, if you have a lot of pilsner malt in your recipe, a 90-minute boil could be good idea whether you BIAB or not.

I do all BIAB and always mash and boil 60 minutes (or so), beers turn out fine, with good efficiency (high-70's). You might end up preferring a different schedule but if so I doubt it will be because BIAB.

I've mashed for 30 minutes before and had over 75% efficiency using BIAB. It all depends on your system/technique. All the research I've done, though, tells me that conversion is basically done after 60 minutes. If the potential to get 1 or 2 % more out of your grain is worth the extra 30 minutes, then go for it. Maybe you'll get it. And please let us know your results.

I usually do a 60 minute mash. I've seen references of longer mashes for lower mash temps (< 149F etc) but typically don't do them myself.

There should be nothing about a thinner mash requiring a longer mash. In fact George Fix (Principles of Brewing Science) notes that a thinner mash helps conversion speed along due to the restraining effect higher sugar concentrations (thicker mash) have on alpha and beta amylase.

But the 90 minute boils are usually needed if you use lager malts as this removes the DMS precursors. Just boiling a wort made up of grains other than lager malts and you should be fine with 60 minutes.

I do 90/90 minutes. I'm in no hurry, I love brewing. Its like golf, sure a hole in one is nice, but did you get your money's worth? If I could brew in 20 minutes, I'd be sad.

LabRatBrewer said:
I do 90/90 minutes. I'm in no hurry, I love brewing. Its like golf, sure a hole in one is nice, but did you get your money's worth? If I could brew in 20 minutes, I'd be sad.

I Like your style man. The only part I wish would go faster and take less time is the cleaning up and breaking down after the end of the brew day. I pitch my yeast, put my beer into my fermentation chamber all nice and snug at 68*. Then...clean and scrub and rinse and dry and pack and boo and boo and s#it and fu¢k <---- hope that last one doesn't get me in trouble. :drunk:

Back