Is all extract created equal ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Would be interested on your thoughts ? Has anyone compared extract from different kits/suppliers ? Some places use the extract to give color and flavor. While some use the specialty grains for color and flavor. Also it seems like all the different suppliers package there extract differently. Extract is the most key ingredient to how our beer turns out, out side of good yeast,temp etc. I don't see a lot of talk about it. Do some feel extract is just extract and as long as its fresh who cares ? All grain brewers seem to care a lot about there base malts. Interested to hear what you guys have to say.

Since I started brewing. I've used many different kit,brands from the few LHBS I have here as we'll as the multitude of different online suppliers . All the beers came out great. All the different kits used similar ingredients. I first thought that's just how it is. Recently I have been using a different online source. The beer wasn't just good it was outstanding ! Thinking it was a fluke I tried different brews from them and still outstanding. The only thing different is the extract from the rest and how it is applied.

I'm not going to put out any names here. I don't think that's fair. Not looking to start a who is better thread. Just a tread about the extract it self

BB

I am a believer in the "use extra-light extract and specialty grains to achieve color/flavor" method. I feel that extra-light is the best extract for most beers, because it is the closest to plain 2-row or 6-row malt. From what I understand, all extract has SOME caramel or crystal malts (even x-light), so I try to use the lightest extract possible and make color/flavor adjustments with other grains. Since there is no way to know EXACTLY what the flavor/color of an "amber" or "Dark" extract will be, I like the control of doing that part myself.

It took some digging to find it but Breiss lists the malts used in its extracts and I think I saw the percentage of each used. Other maltsters may do this too.

I am a believer in the "use extra-light extract and specialty grains to achieve color/flavor" method. I feel that extra-light is the best extract for most beers, because it is the closest to plain 2-row or 6-row malt. From what I understand, all extract has SOME caramel or crystal malts (even x-light), so I try to use the lightest extract possible and make color/flavor adjustments with other grains. Since there is no way to know EXACTLY what the flavor/color of an "amber" or "Dark" extract will be, I like the control of doing that part myself.

This ! Out of all the kit instructions and books ive read, its always been the same. This change in how the color and flavor is done with the steeping grains and not the extract has made a big impact on the quality of the finnished product. Just like doing late additions

If light and oxigen are a killer to extract. Why do some extract come semi clear milk jugs and containers ?

Because many of us store LME's in the fridge till needed along with the yeast. Cooper's LME cans have worked well for me. Only one stuck at 1.020 but I got it going again. Although that was a strong ale.
Breisse LME has worked out quite well too. Both have fermented down to where they were supposed to. I also use a lot of Munton's plain DME's. Plain light mostly,but their plain extra light with my Hopped & Confused ale experiments. DME never gives me any problems & doesn't darken as readilly as LME does. This 1st batch of Hopped & Confused (ale that thinks it's a light lager) used 5lbs of grains & 3lbs of DME (2/1lb bags of EL,1/1lb bag of plain light). It'll be going in the fridge this Saturday after 4 weeks carb/condition time.
Late extract additions also help tremendously with getting lighter color & cleaner flavor.

I'd be interested in the source of your "outstanding" extract.

Aren't we here to share and help others?

I'd be interested also.

I don't think there are any forum rules that say you can't "put out any names," and it's certainly possible to praise a product or vendor without bad mouthing others.

I would also like to know the name of the supplier.

Just did my 21st brew last night and all of my recipes have used either Briess DME or Northern Brewer LME. I can say that the DME recipes have generally been better than the LME. Was looking through William's latest catalog and their "base" LME sounds interesting.

Back