• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

2l corning erlenmeyer flask w/vent cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
2L CORNING 431255 ERLENMEYER W/VENT CAP DISPOSABLE, POLYCARBONATE

I had to buy the whole case during some local horse trading. I am keeping 2 for myself. I am using them for starters, yeast washing, storage etc.

I still have 4 left still sealed in bags. Selling them for $20 firm each plus shipping to your zip code. For the budget minded brewers wanting to get into starters etc. Being polycarbonate they can withstand the occasional "oh crap" moments.

Has both solid flat and vented caps. Use the solid flat caps for a liquid-tight seal; vented caps to allow continuous gas exchange and to ensure sterility.
http://www.labplanet.com/corning-flask-erlen-2l-vent-flat-cs6-431255.html for technical details.

Shipping would be from 32087
http://postcalc.usps.com/

20121217_222450.jpg

USP Class VI polycarbonate.

My work has a pallet of about 2000 of these that are expired, I grabbed one the other day to check out. Corning makes really good lab equipment and it should work perfectly for yeast starters.

Good luck with selling them.

Indytruks138 -
I have not added mine to the stove as I have gas stove. As brum satates they are Class VI polycarbonate. I will try to track down an MSDS or some other spec sheet. Below is a cut and paste from Wiki - from this it would appear to be heat resistant to a degree. If making starters I doubt you would achieve that heat range as it would kill your yeast. FWIW while I research.

"Polycarbonate has a glass transition temperature of about 147 °C (297 °F),[5] so it softens gradually above this point and flows above about 155 °C (311 °F).[6] Tools must be held at high temperatures, generally above 80 °C (176 °F) to make strain- and stress-free products."

Flask measures 11.33" high with cap and has a 6.40" base diameter and 1.76" neck opening; cap is 2.12" in diameter.

I had several boxes of the same ones that my work threw away also. I use them for storing yeast. I wouldn't heat them, as they are a type of plastic.

I had several boxes of the same ones that my work threw away also. I use them for storing yeast. I wouldn't heat them, as they are a type of plastic.

What if you stuck them in a pot of warm/hot water? They wouldn't be directly heated that way and wouldn't get hot enough to hurt the plastic right?

Just a thought.

They come enclosed in a sterile plastic bag. If the bag is openened they the sterility is lost. I believe they are autoclavable.. haven't read the package in a while.. soo maybe a hot bath would work

My wife uses those exact same flasks in her lab for making bacterial starters. They are autoclavable so a hot water bath would work but you don't want to expose them to direct flame. You could mix up your starter wort in them and then autoclave the whole thing and that would get you a sterile wort and flask that you could pitch your yeast into when cool.

A pressure cooker has the same affect as an autoclave. I was thinking of getting one myself so I can really sterilize some equipment

I gave my lhbs a hundred or so of these. All different sizes. I traded for an all grain kit. They are on his shelf for 20$ each! I should of saved em!! Just an fyi

Back