Vorlauf Arm? Newb looking to upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notcreative

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade to a pump set-up, and am not really clear on the method of vorlaufing. Forum searches yielded a bunch of sparge arm designs, but I'm concerned about that plugging up, and being a pain to clean. What do you all do?
Thanks!

A length of silicone tube laid on top of the grain bed. Look up the blichmann auto-sparge. Cheap, easy, and works.

For a vorlauf and a sparge, the target is the same. To keep from channeling, mainly. So you can use a sparge arm for vorlauf also. With a tube though, you don't have to worry about any grain clogging it.

It's called Loc-Line. Each segment can be turned/separated. i.e. it's flexible and snaps together.

The benefit it you can adjust it to any height. Can't do that with stainless or copper.

Oh don't you worry, I've already started adding things to my shopping cart! You'll be shipping about $150 worth of weldless fittings and sightglasses out to me by the end of the week!

It's the same manufacturer (loc-line). My kit isn't an off the shelf assembly for them though because it includes 4 extra segments and the 90 degree elbow. You could just as easily buy the 1' hose, male adapter and elbow if you wanted to duplicate what I have.

Ah, OK. So it's a couple inches longer. I'm doing a cooler installation so I wouldn't need the elbow. The McMaster kit includes the threaded adapter in there. I think you need to talk to Loc-Line about getting a better price :) All black would be nice though. I'll have to measure and see if I need the couple extra inches.

Just for the record, I drilled my MLT last night and installed the sparge arm from BrewHardware.com. It's freakin' easy to use, and works fantastically well. it's 1/2" ID, not OD, so the flow rate is insane. Not like you'll ever need to sparge at 9gpm, but you can if you want! If you're seriously complaining about a product like this that's only $25, but includes a weldless fitting AND a stainless steel Camlock, then you seriously need to remove the vice clamps from your wallet and suck it up. It's just about the best deal in all of homebrewing.

I think I am confused.
Does anyone Vorlauf through the sparge arm? or are we talking about recirculation through a sparge arm? and then change hoses around for actual fly sparging?
I don't use a sparge arm at the moment, after I made my stand and went to three keggles I recirculate the MT with the flow rate throttled back, when I stir it I always get grain through the pump and it clears as the grain bed settles a little. Prior to batch sparging I give it a good stir, wait for the flow to clear of all grain (vorlauf) and then move hose to BK.
When I did fly sparge I still didn't use a sparge arm from the HLT and when I vorlauf the MT I just did it into a container and poured it back into the MT slowly to not disturb the grain bed. All that was prior to fly sparging.

I think I am confused.
Does anyone Vorlauf through the sparge arm? or are we talking about recirculation through a sparge arm? and then change hoses around for actual fly sparging?
I don't use a sparge arm at the moment, after I made my stand and went to three keggles I recirculate the MT with the flow rate throttled back, when I stir it I always get grain through the pump and it clears as the grain bed settles a little. Prior to batch sparging I give it a good stir, wait for the flow to clear of all grain (vorlauf) and then move hose to BK.
When I did fly sparge I still didn't use a sparge arm from the HLT and when I vorlauf the MT I just did it into a container and poured it back into the MT slowly to not disturb the grain bed. All that was prior to fly sparging.

I fly sparge and your description is basically what I do as well... I don't understand why you would have an arm just for vorlauf...

I start draining my MT into a pitcher and pour it back in using a big slotted spoon like I would with a black and tan... Once it runs clear, I start the sparge on my ultra-simple sparge arm (length of copper pipe with holes unit) at the same rate as I'm draining it into the BK.

This is what I use for vorlauf, fly sparging, and now batch sparging. Essentially a fancy water sprinkler that evenly distributes the sparge water or mash runoff.

Not that expensive. A few feet of copper pipe, plumbing solder kit, and drill a few holes on the bottom. It gets complicated when trying to mount / support in a rectangular cooler though.

IMG_0235.jpg

With the mashtube, is it possible to mount a manifold on the end of it if you wanted to?

If you are referring to the return port in the MT, sure, you could add a manifold to that. It would get in the way during mashing if you wanted to stir but I don't see why you couldn't add it at the end of the mash, just put a compression fitting at the bulkhead coupler, unscrew the 90 or 45 you use for recalculating and screw in the manifold for sparging. If you made it out of copper I wouldn't think you would need any other support for it.

I used loc-line for the returns on my reef tank, but hadn't thought of using it like this. You can usually find it at aquarium stores if you need to pick up a few parts. The MashTube is a good price (especially the weldless kit). You can also get parts online for cheaper than McMaster at places such as
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/plumbing/loc-line.html/ or
http://aquariumsupplies.marinedepot.com/search?w=loc-line&modaf=null

If you have never used it before and you get parts to make your own sparge arm be warned that putting it together without the tool is possible but can try your patience.

If you have extra money and want to build a spray manifold get a couple of these http://www.mcmaster.com/#10095K72

Back