Imperial Steam Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foureyedgeek

Reaction score
Hey all, I just brewed my second beer last week, a Steam Beer kit.

I want to use the yeast cake from primary when I transfer so I got a 2nd Steam Beer kit, along with 3 more lbs DME and 2oz more hops, thus an Imperial Steam Beer.

I want this beer to come in around 8% or so and be more hoppy than the kit, so any suggestions? Any idea if I need to add more or less? This will be an extract batch with steeping, keep in mind.

Anyone done a beer like this before?

Thanks!

I find the idea of the style slightly amusing.
Take an American Style, make it big and give it a British export title.
I'd say a bigged up beer is 100% American.

Nothing wrong with doing it if you want. Have you tasted a steam beer that fits in with what you want to do?

Why not go for a beer that you know will taste good and follow a recipe you know is good?

That's probably the best reason.
It's almost irresistible for new brewers to go all out on brews. Part of the learing curve I guess.

When I started I brewed a beer, figured I could do it and thought "I can make anything".

My second brew had spices and fruit. I've never done it since. I'm still learning to make good "normal" beer.

Good luck.

orfy said:
My second brew had spices and fruit. I've never done it since. I'm still learning to make good "normal" beer.

same here. from now on im leaving out the wacky experientation until i can make good normal recipes.

Back