Really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Report back when you brew your recipe.

Also, can you explain how you determined the amount of fermentables you will get out of mashing these, the color, as well as how you plan to get fermentation with no yeast?

Looks like a typical Iron Brewer type brew. Nothing too shocking. Malticuolous has a popcorn beer. Ive done one with tortilla chips....Lots of folks have done beers with breakfast cereals and cookies. I've done a beer with ginger snap cookies in the mash tun. Almost everything there is fermentable.

He probably either just didn't select a yeast when making the recipe (I've done that) or he's using bread yeast.

Revvy said:
Looks like a typical Iron Brewer type brew. Nothing too shocking. Malticuolous has a popcorn beer. Ive done one with tortilla chips....Lots of folks have done beers with breakfast cereals and cookies. I've done a beer with ginger snap cookies in the mash tun. Almost everything there is fermentable.

He probably either just didn't select a yeast when making the recipe (I've done that) or he's using bread yeast.

I have seen some of the recipes you mentioned with these things, but was curious how to determine the gravity for each. Also, I assume mashing them would be nice and sticky with no grain (or hulls).?.

Sorry guys, my bad. I just selected some random ingredients to see what the PPG and SRM listed was. Only been brewing about a year so I thought some of these were kinda out there. For those with experience, the cereals have lots of other stuff in them. It's not really ideal to use them is it? The Captain Crunch and Golden Grahams made me wonder about Southern Tiers Pumking. If anyone has some successful recipes using semi crazy ingredients I'd love to hear them.

I didnt know brew calculus had all those in there, probably because I have never used it. That explains the estimated gravity.

I full volume BIAB so Hopville is good enough for me. No idea how they come up with the values, doubt they've mashed everything listed there.

Skeezer, You can usually roughly determine the amount of sugar present in a "non traditional" ingredient by reading the nutrition info on the label or online. I show how I calculated it in the notes section of my recipe for the ginger snap brown ale.

And a little more info i how to use alternative sugars to prime beer with is in the bottom of this post of my bottling sticky.

Thanks for the link Revvy. I got a few pages into it so far an there is some great info in there. I will be making a dip tube for my bottling bucket the next time I bottle.

Some things you can convert via cereal mashing, like popcorn. But most of the time you're just getting the sugars and the flavorings already present in whatever it is you're working with into your wort.

so to make a completely grocery store beer you'd have to either add beano or find a product that would contain the enzyme? sorry to thread jack but I've been considering doing a grocery beer for some time and was confused about this.

Back