I wish I wasnt such a dumb dumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
So about a m onth ago me and my friend were talking about brewing our own beer, so the next morning I went online, and in an anxious impatiant excitment, I ordered the Mr Beer kit. While it has good reviews, I know its by far the best "brewing" kit out there.

I'm looking on Austinhomebrew.com, and they have a setupd for the same price I paid, and it has better stuff.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=2354

I hate it when I don't do any research on my hobbies. :eek:

Word to the wise: in the future, if you're not 100% sure (and sometimes, even if you are) about a homebrew-related purchase, ASK HBT! Conduct a poll if you want. That's how I chose my grain mill, and it's simply awesome.

Evan! said:
Word to the wise: in the future, if you're not 100% sure (and sometimes, even if you are) about a homebrew-related purchase, ASK HBT! Conduct a poll if you want. That's how I chose my grain mill, and it's simply awesome.

I didnt find HBT till it was too late :( haha

Should I go ahead and order that kit now? Or wait till I get bck from the desert next summer?

The resonable side says wait, and just keep using the kit I have now. But the eager side says NOW! :tank:

The thing about the starter kits is that you don't really need to outgrow them, you just add on. I still use every piece of equipment that I got in my starter kit - the buckets, the hydrometer, the capper, the bottling wand, so it's not like you buy it and really outgrow it (you just end up buying more and more stuff!).

The Mr. Beer kit, some people like it... but I suspect those are mostly people who haven't made beer any other way. It strikes me as an extremely limiting system.

So yeah, I'd go ahead and buy the "real" kit (and Austin Homebrew is a very well-regarded company).

I agree with Bird. There is almost nothing in a starter kit that you won't use until it's worn out. It's well worth the inventment and you'll make a product you will be happy with. I've tried beer made with Mr. Beer - it's not good.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT!

go get a real kit......next thing you know you start looking for turkey fryers and burners and coolers.....SWMBO will look at you funny all the time!

the_bird said:
The thing about the starter kits is that you don't really need to outgrow them, you just add on. I still use every piece of equipment that I got in my starter kit - the buckets, the hydrometer, the capper, the bottling wand, so it's not like you buy it and really outgrow it (you just end up buying more and more stuff!).

The Mr. Beer kit, some people like it... but I suspect those are mostly people who haven't made beer any other way. It strikes me as an extremely limiting system.

So yeah, I'd go ahead and buy the "real" kit (and Austin Homebrew is a very well-regarded company).

Word, now the real question, which kit.

The $156 kit is a "Tap-a-draft" system. And then theres the $200 kit thats made for bottling.

I wouldn't go with the "tap a draft" - good system from a lot of accounts, but most everybody eventually wants to do a regular kegging setup (with 5 gallon cornie kegs). That's an example of something that might be a bit better than bottling, but something that there's a good chance you'd "outgrow," so to speak.

I's suggest an intermediate kit with either glass carboys or better bottles. I'd also suggest not going with the tap-a-draft. In the long run, you'll probably be much happier with a corney keg system.

I like both glass and the plastic....although I'll probably buy some more better bottles instead of glass next...just to mix it up

98EXL said:
DOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT!

go get a real kit......next thing you know you start looking for turkey fryers and burners and coolers.....SWMBO will look at you funny all the time!

Yeah, I know how addicting hobbies can be. I have a $30K hobby sitting out in the parking lot that consumes me. :drunk:

And thankfully, right now I don't have a SWMBO. So all the money I make goes into my pocket. :rockin:

Also, I live in an apartment, on the second floor, I think the 5 gal keg's would be the biggest thing I could rack into. I know transporting anything bigger would be a PITA.

How much are the 5 gal kegs?

Mustangfreak said:
And thankfully, right now I don't have a SWMBO. So all the money I make goes into my pocket. :rockin:

Keep spending all your $$ on brewing and your stang, and it'll stay that way ;)

Cornie kegs run from $18 - $35 a piece, depending on where you buy them and whether they've been reconditioned or not. You also need a CO2 tank ($50 - $100), a regulator ($30 - $50), and various hoses, clamps, etc. Most people will convert a spare fridge or chest freezer into a kegerator, the cost there can vary. Then, you get into the costs of shanks and faucets and all of that gear... for me, I just have picnic taps for now, but converting my fridge the way I want to ultimately will be another couple hundred bucks.

Latest posts

Back