Garlic Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Hi all, it's getting close to harvest time for the garlic here. I probably have about 30 to 40 lbs of Hardneck coming which has very limited keeping potential. I have a bed of Softneck which doesn't concern me. Just wondering, aside from roasting and pickling does anyone have any other brainstorms? :confused:

you could string it up all around your house to ward off vampires...

lightly smash a bunch of the cloves and put them in bottles of olive oil, garlic infused olive oil is great on sandwiches, salads, great for sauteing, etc....

cnbudz said:
you could string it up all around your house to ward off vampires...

lightly smash a bunch of the cloves and put them in bottles of olive oil, garlic infused olive oil is great on sandwiches, salads, great for sauteing, etc....
I read that putting raw garlic in oil is actually dangerous. The bacteria that cause botulism or something can grow. I don't have any specific sources to cite but a google search seems to indicate this is true.

Edit: I found this article, if you keep it in the fridge and use within a week it looks like it's safe. Sorry if I alarmed anyone, should have done the research before I posted! :)

bradsul said:
I read that putting raw garlic in oil is actually dangerous. The bacteria that cause botulism or something can grow. I don't have any specific sources to cite but a google search seems to indicate this is true.

Edit: I found this article, if you keep it in the fridge and use within a week it looks like it's safe. Sorry if I alarmed anyone, should have done the research before I posted! :)

Yeah, absolutely. There was an outbreak of Botulism in chopped garlic in oil in Canada a few years back. Anything placed in the anaerobic environment that oil provides should be well dried, or pressure processed (although I have never done that with oil).

jeez... I've done it a few times and luckily haven't killed myself yet... though, I usually only make a small amount and use it pretty quickly since I don't usually have 30-40lbs of garlic to go through.

Although, if you want to go the botulism route you could inject it into rich womens faces and call it a beauty treatment...

Garlic Ale. Uncarbonated, for cooking.

SWMBO has given me the green light for this, I will make a small batch when I get a good supply of drinking beer made.

I used to do it too, then someone sent me an article a while back and I stopped. Too bad, garlic oil tastes awesome on a sandwich or salad as was mentioned. I tried some of the store bought stuff but it just didn't taste right.

That's definitely good information to know. I think I had heard Alton Brown talk about the dangers of homemade garlic oil at one point, but I assumed it was just his normal paranoia.

Here are the symptoms of botulism. I think we've all experienced the 1st two after a good night of drinking:
* Dizziness;
* Blurred or double vision;
* Difficulty in swallowing, breathing and speaking; or
* Paralysis that gets worse with time.

I generally just roast and mash garlic on the fly then combine with a nice dipping oil as I use it. No worries of botulism and since it is fresh it is always good.

Oh, and back to the original question ... if you want ideas, for $2.47 + S&H, you can get a used copy of The Complete Garlic Lover's Cookbook from Amazon. It's from the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Gilroy, CA. (I hope to go there someday)

It's 20 years old, so if you want a more current one I think there's a 2nd edition on there somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveyBoy said:
Oh, and back to the original question ... if you want ideas, for $2.47 + S&H, you can get a used copy of The Complete Garlic Lover's Cookbook from Amazon. It's from the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Gilroy, CA. (I hope to go there someday)

It's 20 years old, so if you want a more current one I think there's a 2nd edition on there somewhere.

Lol, Davey. That's almost as bad as telling me to google it :fro: :D (although it does look like a good book)

hehe.

C'mon guys! I need some inspiration (other than botulism and vampires hehe). :ban:

P.S. Just need a springboard. The beer idea is interesting, but I have so many regular beer recipes that I NEED to make :)D) it would be a looong time before I got to garlic.

Hrmm....guess I could always dry it for powder but it just seems sinful. I mean this stuff is world class Garlic man!

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, sorry. Well in my defense, you didn't say you wanted good ideas. :)

I love garlic, but I can't think of any applications for it other than just cooking with it in every meal. Just think, garlic with breakfast, lunch and dinner, then dessert if you make garlic ice cream too.

I'll keep brainstorming though ....

bradsul said:
garlic soup is really good, though it doesn't use as much as it sounds like it would :D

I know, that is kind of the issue I guess lol, it usually doesn't take terribly much garlic to influence a dish properly. The one variety in particular (Spanish Roja) is a Rocambole that is really pungent. Roasting it is probably not a bad idea and then freezing it...hrmm...this is kind of a tough nut to crack.

Don't get me wrong, I know we'll be eating tons of the stuff as soon as I pull and cure it but I know it will be loads. That's what happened to last year's shallot crop. I got so much (a good problem to have though!). I didn't bother expanding the Shallot crop (although I did, however, reserve the largest bulbs for seed stock so this year's crop should theoretically be a heavier yield even though I still only planted one bed).

I just know there has to be something I haven't thought of...

Jeez, maybe I should just plan on hitting the high end restaurants with the stuff. *shrug*, guess I could make some grain money hehe.

Huge garlic head here..... Favorite thing to do with fresh garlic, Go get a fresh loaf of French bread, split it down the middle, Butter liberally then tons of minced garlic, basil, and rosemary on top. Broil for about 10 min!

Drunkensatyr said:
Huge garlic head here..... Favorite thing to do with fresh garlic, Go get a fresh loaf of French bread, split it down the middle, Butter liberally then tons of minced garlic, basil, and rosemary on top. Broil for about 10 min!
I just finished lunch and reading that made me hungry again. :D

OK, this still doesn't solve your "problem" of what to do with all that garlic, but I came across a link for garlic peanuts. It sounds really good, I think I'll have to make some soon.

Definitely would go great with a couple of pints.

Garlic Jam

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1823,144184-241192,00.html
GARLIC JAM

1/2 lb. garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 lb. red onion, peeled and minced
3/4 c. sugar
Water to cover

Place in a pot the garlic, onions and sugar and cover with water. Partially cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the contents turn amber and thicken to a jam-like consistency. Cool and refrigerate in tightly covered jar and serve with all your game bird meals. Recommended for pheasant.

Just throwing it out there. There might be a better recipe somewhere.

olllllo said:
Garlic Jam

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1823,144184-241192,00.html
GARLIC JAM

1/2 lb. garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 lb. red onion, peeled and minced
3/4 c. sugar
Water to cover

Place in a pot the garlic, onions and sugar and cover with water. Partially cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the contents turn amber and thicken to a jam-like consistency. Cool and refrigerate in tightly covered jar and serve with all your game bird meals. Recommended for pheasant.

Just throwing it out there. There might be a better recipe somewhere.

That is a good springboard idea...I have red onion coming ready to harvest soon too...

DaveyBoy said:
OK, this still doesn't solve your "problem" of what to do with all that garlic, but I came across a link for garlic peanuts. It sounds really good, I think I'll have to make some soon.

Definitely would go great with a couple of pints.

Those look pretty tasty, although I wonder what the heck 'vetsin' is :cross:

Yooper Chick said:
I have a friend who makes all kinds of pickles, and she uses garlic (and lots of it) in all those recipes. Also, just plain pickled garlic. Great for bloody mary's and other things.

Also, garlic wine! I'd give it a try if I had some garlic. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques24.asp

and this wine in another forum I frequent:

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=16971&hl=garlic

I had thought of the pickled garlic. I may very well make some, and I do use it in my garlic dills (although I am running late on the cukes this year :eek:)

The wine, hrm...I dunno man, I'd probably make it and never use it...although I could be wrong.

zoebisch01 said:
Those look pretty tasty, although I wonder what the heck 'vetsin' is :cross:
I think it's MSG .... probably could leave it out since these will be tasty enough. And now I'm hungry. :)

:off:

Ha that reminds me....I went to a chinese place the other day and on the menu it said "MSG Optional"

Sorry for the off topic....that just reminded me and I thought it was funny

DaveyBoy said:
I think it's MSG .... probably could leave it out since these will be tasty enough. And now I'm hungry. :)

Ahh, yes I believe you are correct. Yeah, they'd be good on their own.

Found another description of this Adobong Amani (Which the Adobong seems to be a permuation of Adobo, which word I am familiar with)

"Adobong Mani

Garlic
Spanish Peanuts
salt

In a deep frying pan, deep fry your garlic until golden brown, then set aside the garlic. While your garlic is frying, soak your Spanish peanuts in some salt water. When the garlic is done, strain the peanuts before frying in deep oil. Wait until the skin of the peanuts start to peal off, or a bit of discoloration begins in the peanuts before removing the cooked peanut from the hot oil and remember do not fry too long or the peanuts taste bitter. When the peanuts is crispy enough to eat, add a bit of garlic salt (or spicy red hot peppers) and serve. Best eaten while cripsy and witha nice cold beer!! Mabuhay!!!!"

I'd say that fits well for the forums!

Originally Posted by zoebisch01
Best eaten while cripsy and witha nice cold beer!
Well if that's not fate, I don't know what is! :)

Originally Posted by bradsul
That sounds awesome, I think that deserves a thread of its own!
Sort of like EdWort's Apfelwein thread? We could track how many pounds of garlic peanuts have been made ....

My favorite application of multiple cloves of garlic is chicken and 40 cloves. Very tasty dish, easy to make, great leftover and it uses a lot of garlic.

Ingredients
1 whole chicken (fryer, you don't want it too big)
40 cloves of garlic
10 sprigs of fresh thyme
salt and pepper
1/2 cup + 2-4 tablespoons olive oil

If you have a big enough pan you could cut up the whole chicken and use the whole thing but I can only fit the two breasts and the leg/thigh quarters in my pan so I boil down the wings and back for stock.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
In an oven safe, high sided pan that has a lid pour in enough olive oil to give a thin layer across the bottom when you swirl, usually 2-4 tablespoons.
Place the pan over med-high heat and allow it to warm up a couple minutes.
Once the pan is ready, add all the chicken skin side down and cook until brown. Flip and cook for another couple minutes to brown the other side then kill the heat.
Thrown in the garlic, making sure none of it is resting on top of the chicken, top the chicken with the thyme and pour in the 1/2 cup of olive oil.
Cover and place in your oven for 1 and 1/2 hours.

Allow to rest 5-10 minutes before serving. The chicken falls off the bone and the cloves of garlic spread like butter over some warmed french bread.

Whenever we make this we usually have leftover cloves, it's just the wife and I, so I'll mash them into a paste and then mix them with some warmed butter and refrigerate. Great for garlic bread.

Roterdrache, that looks good. Aside from the recipe, the copious use of garlic has reminded me of all the dishes I have made that use loads of garlic. One in particular is the hot wings recipe I use. Hrmmm, good inspiration...thx. :ban:

zoebisch01 said:
Found another description of this Adobong Amani (Which the Adobong seems to be a permuation of Adobo, which word I am familiar with)

"Adobong Mani

Garlic
Spanish Peanuts
salt
I made these tonight to celebrate my 2nd night of brewing (3rd if you count Apfelwein) ... Ok, let's face it, I was looking for any excuse to make these :)

They are really good -- the only thing I changed was I added some crushed red pepper too, since it seemed like it was just screaming for some spiciness. I don't normally like Planters peanuts, but since the peanuts were going to be cooked, I wanted something that could take a few minutes of cooking. (Planters anemic albino peanuts don't seem really "roasted" at all to me)

And when it's all done, you can just put it back in the original jar ... easy enough.

about the garlic oil from earlier posts, I think botulism only grows in anaerobic and non acidic environments. you might not be able to oxygenate your oil but maybe you can acidify it? also if the bad stuff is only on the surface of the garlic a quick dunk into hydrogen peroxide should kill any anaerobic stuff living on it with out leaving any thing nasty on the garlic the way iodine or starsan might. I havent personally made garlic oil yet but I have made tons of basil and chili oil that came out great without any fatal side effects.

Why not roughly chop the garlic and lightly fry it til golden and then put that in the oil for a sort of toasted garlic oil.

Back