Experiment Gone Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shunt1317

Reaction score
Well, a few months ago I brewed up an experimental batch using only LME and Honey. Just wanting to see how it would turn out. It pretty much taste like crap..
So, in an attempt to salvage what's left, I was thinking about opening all the beer and putting it back in a fermenter and dry hopping it. I know I'm gonna introduce oxygen into it, which isn't good. But I hate having it laying around not being drank.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Don't waste the hops, you wouldn't wrap a turd in bacon and eat it because it would still be a turd right?

Save it.

Use it for marinating brautwursts this summer or something. Who knows too, it might actually turn out to be drinkable in a couple of months.

why was it bad, lack of hops?

There are some recipes that are little more than DME, sugar, and hops that I've heard excellent reviews of.

I'm guessing the lack of hops made it sickeningly sweet. You could try adding some hop extract, but it's kind of spendy.

i can see where it might not taste up to par with no hops but i dont think it would be disgusting maybe youve got an infected batch or oxydized beer. mead does not have any hops and tastes damn good even at lower alcohols.

Mead typically improves greatly with age. How much honey and LME did you use? It's certainly possible that some time might help things.

Mead typically improves greatly with age. How much honey and LME did you use? It's certainly possible that some time might help things.

Thanks for the responses...:D I've got a couple of ideas now.

I used 6lbs lme and 1lb of honey and 1lb corn sugar... Like I said, it was an experiment.. One I don't plan to replicate.

Make a pot of hop tea and add a bit to each glass. Boil 1/2 oz of a bittering hop in 1 quart of water for 60 minutes, then add a good aroma hop at 5. An ounce of the mix will give you about 10 IBUs with a 12 oz bottle of beer.

You could get a distilling licence from the state and make ethanol for your car with it, but don't be drinking the ethanol you make because then it would be called moonshine.

Back