Sweet peach wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
I've got some peach Harvest fruit wine base and some Oregon Peach puree. I'm looking to make a sweet wine, probably more like a still cider. I want to do a 6 gallon batch and I figure I'll probably use about 1/2 the sugar that the recipe says. I'm wondering if it is ok for me to leave the fruit in for a couple of weeks? I am going to be gone for a couple weeks over the holidays.

I figure once it is done fermenting I'll stabilize and add the puree to taste

any other tips?

I haven't made wine yet, but from my experience using fruit in cider, you should be fine leaving it in for a couple of weeks. I would say that up to a month you're ok but anything after that I'd rack off to a secondary.

I've never used canned fruit, but I've never left fruit in fermenter for more than about 5 days. It gets very mushy and white colored and starts to break down pretty fast. Maybe canned fruit is different, I don't know.

I usually do a 5-7 day primary (until the SG gets 1.010-1.020) and then rack to secondary. It stays in the secondary until the lees get 1/4" thick, or at least 30-45 days, before being racked again.

You will not get as much peach flavor as you would expect from one can. When you think you have gone to far adding the peach, it's probably about right.

Back