Gluten Free American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcasanova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brew day pics!

ABA_001.JPG

After steep
ABA_002.JPG

Liquid sample, not as dark as I wanted but it works
ABA_003.JPG

This is how I cool, my brother had to go get a bag of ice for me
ABA_005.JPG

Racking after whirlpool
ABA_006.JPG

All done, blowoff attached
ABA_008.JPG

O.G- 1.054

Cool. What's the recipe? Let us know how it turns out!

Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 20.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.5 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

6 lbs Sorghum Syrup (15 min)
1 lb Buckwheat, roasted (40 SRM)
1 lb Millet, Roasted (40 SRM)
1 oz Fuggles, pellet 4.8% (60 min)
.75 oz East Kent Goldings, leaf 4.2% (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
8 oz Maple Syrup (35 SRM)
8 oz Blackstrap Molasses (80 SRM)
4 oz Dark Candi Sugar (275 SRM)
1 pkg SafAle English Ale (S-04)

I steeped the grains at 155-F for 30 min. then added the hops, maple syrup, molasses and candi sugar. The rest was added as the schedule above. My OG was 1.054

I'll rack to secondary in a week, then bottle after another week. 3 weeks bottle conditioning and it should be ready 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, if it's good I'll post the recipe in the database but it looks good and smelled good. Let me know if you guys try it :mug:

I had some sorghum syrup sitting around that I've been ignoring in favor of experimenting with malted grains. I decided to brew with it last night and my recipe is pretty similar to yours.

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.050
Color: No where near as dark as Beersmith estimated
Estimated IBU: 27.2

Ingredients
6 lbs sorghum syrup (60 min)
1 lb dark roasted buckwheat (15 min)
12 fl oz Molasses
1 oz Sterling pellets (60 min)
.75 oz Sterling pellets (15 min)
8 oz Malto Dextrin
1 pkg Nottingham

If mine's any good, we should trade a few bottles.

The grains are in the paper bags because they are "wafting", I think that the proper term? I roasted them myself so they need to mellow, otherwise it might add a taste I don't want.

The maple syrup added fermentable sugar but as far as the flavor goes, I don't know what it will contribute and it didn't really impact the color like the blackstrap molasses did.

Thanks for the recipe and tips. I really want to brew a darker beer, the last two I've done have been good but a little light for my taste.

I have one more question, how do you measure a SRM of 275?

Cheers

Colm

I'd be down for that. I've been wondering if I should have added some malto-dextrin...maybe I'll add it to the pumpkin ales I'm brewing next weekend.

It does help add some body. It isn't fermentable, so I don't see why you couldn't add it now or at bottling.

A couple thoughts... First, I usually add 8 oz. malto-dextrin per 5 gallons for my gluten-free beers. Second, if you're looking to get your beer a little darker, you might want to consider roasting some "chocolate wild rice." I tried to brew a gluten-free stout and while it didn't get as dark as I had planned, it could pass for a light porter (I'd estimate around 25 SRM). You can read a description of my "chocolate wild rice" roasting process here: http://chibebrau.blogspot.com/2008/12/brew-day-folsom-prison-gluten-free.html

A couple thoughts... First, I usually add 8 oz. malto-dextrin per 5 gallons for my gluten-free beers. Second, if you're looking to get your beer a little darker, you might want to consider roasting some "chocolate wild rice." I tried to brew a gluten-free stout and while it didn't get as dark as I had planned, it could pass for a light porter (I'd estimate around 25 SRM). You can read a description of my "chocolate wild rice" roasting process here: http://chibebrau.blogspot.com/2008/12/brew-day-folsom-prison-gluten-free.html

I like the color I have, I was going for a brown ale so I think this works. I might try to add some malto-dextrin to the secondary- I'll look around to see if anyone else has tried that. But that is a great idea for a stout...I'll check your blog and see whats up. :mug:

A couple thoughts... Second, if you're looking to get your beer a little darker, you might want to consider roasting some "chocolate wild rice." I tried to brew a gluten-free stout and while it didn't get as dark as I had planned, it could pass for a light porter (I'd estimate around 25 SRM). You can read a description of my "chocolate wild rice" roasting process here: http://chibebrau.blogspot.com/2008/12/brew-day-folsom-prison-gluten-free.html

I gave this a shot last night with the sorghum grain I have, I used about 1 lb in the aluminum screen I made hoping that the screen would allow more even roasting. My grain did not get nearly as dark as the rice you pictured and I think this is for 1 or 2 reasons... 1- my oven may not be calibrated and I need to get an oven thermometer and 2- perhaps rice darkens a lot easier/quicker than grains do... Not sure here. I did notice that I had some good smoking around the 20-40 minute mark and after 40 minutes there was not very much smoke and I could close my screen door.

Any thoughts on this...maybe I need to use a regular pan and forget about the airflow I get from the screen?

Racked from bucket to 5 gallon Better Bottle Friday night. It looks good, smells like beer and is a nice brown color. The blow-off proved unncecssary, guess I had enough head-space, but better safe than sorry, right :cross:

Anyways, here's a picture of it next to the just brewed Gluten Free Pumpkin Ale #1
CIMG3903.JPG

At the end of this week I will bottle it, adding some priming sugar and 8 oz. malto-dextrin. I'll let you know if I have any updates from there.

I gave this a shot last night with the sorghum grain I have, I used about 1 lb in the aluminum screen I made hoping that the screen would allow more even roasting. My grain did not get nearly as dark as the rice you pictured and I think this is for 1 or 2 reasons... 1- my oven may not be calibrated and I need to get an oven thermometer and 2- perhaps rice darkens a lot easier/quicker than grains do... Not sure here. I did notice that I had some good smoking around the 20-40 minute mark and after 40 minutes there was not very much smoke and I could close my screen door.

Any thoughts on this...maybe I need to use a regular pan and forget about the airflow I get from the screen?

I gotta be honest... this is the first and only time I've messed with roasting grains, and I was just going by instructions I found online. Your explanation seems better than anything I can come up with, since the pan would hold more direct heat I would guess.

Did you taste test this yet? I know you said it was about ready for bottling ... I am curious to hear how it turned out.

Here is the beer in the hydrometer jar. It smelled really good and looked great in the bottling bucket. Came out to 1.010 (I know the pic doesn't show that) so...5.74% ABV. I plan on letting this sit for 3 weeks to carb but I'll probably test one in 2 weeks.

ABA_009.JPG

Oh yea, I racked the beer on top of 8 oz malto-dextrin and 4 oz dextrose that I dissolved in boiled water and cooled. And no worries, I siphoned directly to the hydrometer test jar from secondary :D

Do you have a recipe for the GF Pumpkin Ale?

Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.5 gal
Boil Size: 3 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 8.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.1 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

3 lbs Sorghum Syrup (60 min)
1 lb Sorghum, roasted (10 SRM)
1 oz East Kent Goldings, pellet 4.5% (60 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
8 oz Honey (1 SRM)
4 oz Malto-Dextrine (5 min)
.5 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (10 min)
1 pkg Nottingham Yeast

Steep the grains for 30 minutes between 150-170. I put the Honey into the fermenter and racked the cooled wort on top of it, top up to 2.5 gallons. Primary for 15 days around 70-F prime with 2.5 oz corn sugar, bottle condition for 3 weeks.

I also made another version of this the very next day. The ingredients and process is the exact same except I added 14.5 oz of Pumpkin Pie filling and 14.5 oz Pumpkin puree which I roasted at 350 for an hour. It was a PITA because I tried to strain it when I was putting it into the carboy. I probably only had 1.5 inch of orange trub after 2 weeks though, not too much loss.

At bottling time, since I did them both on the same day, I would say that the one with the pumpkin puree was lighter in color than the one without. It also looks cloudy in the bottle.

I'll be trying some around the 20th so I'll try to remember to take pictures.

:mug:

Just some feedback, I'll also agree with this

cellardoor said:
Hey,

I've finished up the beers you gave me. Thanks a bunch and I enjoyed them a lot. They have a definite flavor difference from a barley based beer, but while different it is still very enjoyable and have a little residual sweetness which I didn't mind. I really dug the brown ale, I could drink that on a regular basis no problem.

I've got my first batch of your Nut Brown in bottles (as of last night) and I look forward to trying it out in a week or two. I tried a little last night when I was bottling, and it seems like it will be a pretty pleasant brew. Thanks for sharing, and the encouragement! I'll post once I try it.

Out of curiosity, how long did you leave it in the bottle before you tried it?

Thanks!

I've got my first batch of your Nut Brown in bottles (as of last night) and I look forward to trying it out in a week or two. I tried a little last night when I was bottling, and it seems like it will be a pretty pleasant brew. Thanks for sharing, and the encouragement! I'll post once I try it.

Out of curiosity, how long did you leave it in the bottle before you tried it?

Thanks!

I think about 2.5 - 3 weeks. Sometimes I can't wait but patience seems to be on your side. :fro:

I wait three weeks before I consider it carbed, but I always crack one open after 2.

Did you say that you roasted the buckwheat and the millet yourself?
Did you get these from a HBS or a regular store?

Also, can you describe your roasting process?

Thanks!

Did you say that you roasted the buckwheat and the millet yourself?
Did you get these from a HBS or a regular store?

Also, can you describe your roasting process?

Thanks!

Sure did, I got these from a local health food store. Just to be safe I bought the ones marked "Gluten-Free"

Roast grains starting at 225 for 30 minutes, then increase temperature 25 degrees every 30 minutes until you get the color you want. You will want to let these sit in a paper bag for at least 1 week before using.

I roasted the grains separately- the millet I cut off at 425 and I can't find my notes on the buckwheat but I think I cut that off at 400 (it was smoking more)

Note: Your smoke alarm may go off and your house might smell a little funky for a few days. I just use a box fan and open my screen door occasionally once it hits 350 (around when my grains started smoking).

Hope that helps

That definitely helps!

And you may have answered this for me before, the Sorghum syrup, Health Food store, or LHBS?

Get the sorghum syrup from your LHBS. It's different from the sorghum syrup/molasses that is more common in the south. I tried brewing with that once and it isn't very good.

You will want to let these sit in a paper bag for at least 1 week before using.

Can you tell me why you let the grains sit in a bag for a week? Is it necessary? What will happen if I roast them and use them immediately? Also, what will these grains add to the brew? I am assuming just flavor/ color as they aren't malted.

The brew I made turned out good, but it has a metallic aftertaste. From reading here and other places I am assuming it is from the Molasses. Did you have any metallic aftertaste in yours?

Thanks!

Can you tell me why you let the grains sit in a bag for a week? Is it necessary? What will happen if I roast them and use them immediately? Also, what will these grains add to the brew? I am assuming just flavor/ color as they aren't malted.

The brew I made turned out good, but it has a metallic aftertaste. From reading here and other places I am assuming it is from the Molasses. Did you have any metallic aftertaste in yours?

Thanks!

The grains sit in the bag for a week to waft away some of the harsh aromatics, I don't think it is "necessary" but overall it is a good practice. If you used them immediately you'd probably notice some different flavors but I can't attest to that.

In my experience the grains are good for adding color and some flavor, they might add some body but I don't know.

About the metallic aftertaste, I've always attributed that to the sorghum but it isn't exactly THAT noticeable.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm happy with the results for a first batch, and I have definitely been drinking it. I'll be replacing the Molasses with another sweetener, probably brown sugar but I'm not sure. Just to see what it does.
:tank:
Thank you again for sharing, I appreciate all the advice!

I've been really craving this beer lately, unfortunately I won't be able to brew again until I move into my own place. Hopefully that's soon but I've made a few changes and will post them if I get a chance to brew this fall. Anyone else brew this originally then again and make any changes?

I've been really craving this beer lately, unfortunately I won't be able to brew again until I move into my own place. Hopefully that's soon but I've made a few changes and will post them if I get a chance to brew this fall. Anyone else brew this originally then again and make any changes?

I didn't see where you gave a review of the brown ale. I'm very interested in how it tasted.
Thanks.

I didn't see where you gave a review of the brown ale. I'm very interested in how it tasted.
Thanks.

Wow, I really never gave any tasting notes did I? And to be honest, I can't recall any specifics except that I've been craving one lately. I know it didn't have the sorghum-y aftertaste and it wasn't sweet like Redbridge...guess I'll have to brew the original again and take better notes. Maybe Androshen can give some notes on this, I think he brewed it recently and really liked it.

The initial impression from the first homebrew, which was lcasanova's recipe, was "smooth". it had none of the bite associated with beer. It seemed odd to me as it was both my first homebrew and my first GF attempt.
The more I had of it though, the more I became hooked on the flavor. The kit I just finished with is a solid "OK" but then again, it may grow on me too .... but I am already figuring on repeating the brown ale ... I may just try playing with the hops a little.
Overall, I was thrilled with the outcome of the brown ale and my wife (the celiac) was estatic.

Back