What's the best temp for the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
How cool should I go for secondary on ales? This would be after 10 days in the primary at around 67 t0 70 degrees. Thanks.

Ed

For me it's 72 to 78 because that is all I'm capable of delivering right now. That's probably not ideal, but I don't have any way of providing a micro-envirnoment specifically for my beer. It is conditioned at the ambient temperature of my house.

But would it make any sense to chill it down say to 50F for a day or 2 before bottling? Just to clear up a bit.

If you want to cool it down, i.e. cold-condition, it will take more than a day or two to have any real effect; more like two or three weeks minimum.

If you will be bottling and secondary will be in a carboy, then I would secondary an ale at the same temperature as the primary. If you keg, I would skip the seconday carboy and go straight to cold-conditioning in a keg.

Back