My new portable kegerator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
So, a few years back, I noticed on Brewersnetwork.com that they had an article about a portable kegerator. I always loved it, but never had a reason to actually build one. Well, I'm going on a canoe trip this summer for a buddies batchelor party and decided to go for it. It involved buying a 3 gallon keg, and it helped a ton that Northern Brewer had a 10% off sale a few weeks back.

Mine uses a different cooler than the round beverage coolers, but it's nice because I can fit another 15-20 bottles in the cooler. Here's some pics if anyone's interested. Sorry about the size.

cooler1.jpg

<p></p>
cooler2.jpg

<p></p>
cooler3.jpg

<p></p>
cooler4p.jpg

Tits! I both love and fear the keg charger on the outside, i'm afraid it will get smacked and bust off. Still a cool setup.:mug:

First off that looks like a nice work shop / garage. Secondly, nicely done lad, nicely done. Looks very similar to mine save the color and CO2 charger placement. A word of caution, when kids are around they love to pull the "trigger" as my nieces/nephews call it.

So go forth, canoe, and enjoy!

The filter is a "randall" like the one used for Dogfish beers. I have it setup for an IPA I'll be putting through this soon.

As for the Co2 charger and kids...I understand all too well. Even my adult friends find it amusing to pull the trigger on it. They don't like when beer shoots out the tap and foams like crazy, but they still don't listen to me when I tell the not to pull it. Oh well.

Thanks for the comments about the garage. I take a lot of pride in keeping it nice. It's actually my wood working shop/addition on the garage. I built it so that if the wife ever kicks me out, I can live comfortably in the garage. It's heated, A/C'd, has satelite TV, a couch, and a kegerator...enough to keep me comfortable for weeks.

Thanks for the comments about the garage. I take a lot of pride in keeping it nice. It's actually my wood working shop/addition on the garage. I built it so that if the wife ever kicks me out, I can live comfortably in the garage. It's heated, A/C'd, has satelite TV, a couch, and a kegerator...enough to keep me comfortable for years.

Fixed it for ya.

You might want to check the laws of where you will be canoeing. Where we float bottles aren't allowed nor are kegs. In the past it hadn't been an issue but of late the conservation department has been cracking down hard here in Missouri. Last week we went and when we put our canoes in the water we saw 5 conservation agents sitting in the bushes looking up stream with bino's trying to catch people f'ing up.

Just a friendly warning to check your laws now rather than later.

Yup, shiney new 3 gallon keg. I'm liking the tower setup on yours. I had thought about doing a tower, but I thought it might put too much pressure on the lid when it's open.

Yup, shiney new 3 gallon keg. I'm liking the tower setup on yours. I had thought about doing a tower, but I thought it might put too much pressure on the lid when it's open.

I haven't noticed any. The dome lid is stronger, probably. Also, that PVC tower does not weigh much.

I'm actually pulling the tower off for camping. With the wife's relatives about, it will be in "stealth mode", with picnic taps inside.

The easiest thing to do is drop your corny in a 5 gallon bucket, pour ice around the keg and attach a picnic tap. Done and done. Obviously your ice won't last as long because the bucket isn't insulated but if you have easy access to ice it's a non issue. Old bottling buckets are great for this because you can drain excess water without removing the keg.

The easiest thing to do is drop your corny in a 5 gallon bucket, pour ice around the keg and attach a picnic tap. Done and done. Obviously your ice won't last as long because the bucket isn't insulated but if you have easy access to ice it's a non issue. Old bottling buckets are great for this because you can drain excess water without removing the keg.

BUT...it doesn't look nearly as cool, and it doesn't have wheels.

Very cool. I'm too lazy to carry mine though, so I had to build something with wheels. How well do those Kegloves work? I've been wanting to buy a few, but I wasn't positive they'd keep the keg cold for a long period of time.

Back