Easy street wheat clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adarelme

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I found this recipe here

Odell Brewing Easy Street Wheat (5 gallon, extract with grains)

Ingredients

3.3 Briess wheat malt extract syrup
1 lb. Briess Wheat dry malt extract
2 lb. Wheat malt
.5 lb. Munich malt
1 lb. 20L Crystal Malt
3.75 AAUs Cascade hops (.75 oz. of 5.0 alpha acid)
4.3 AAUs Saaz hops (1.0 oz. of 4.3 alpha acid)
4.5 AAUs Tettnanger hops (1.0 oz. of 4.5 alpha acid)
.75 cup corn sugar for priming
White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast or Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast

I followed the recipe from start to end.
It’s been almost 12 hours and nothing is happening.
Wort is sitting in the primary fermentor, and no Krausen at all.

I forgot to take a gravity reading at pitching, and the same thing happened to me when I brew my 90 shilling clone. Should I just relax? Or did I do something wrong?

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Did you steep the wheat malt and munich?? You need some malted barley to convert. It's OK to steep crystal because its converted already.

Did you steep the wheat malt and munich?? You need some malted barley to convert. It's OK to steep crystal because its converted already.

yes i steeped the 2 lb. Wheat malt, .5 lb. Munich malt, 1 lb. 20L Crystal Malt at 150 for 30 min

then added the Briess wheat malt extract syrup, and 1 lb. Briess Wheat dry malt extract got the wort to a boil
added the hops for 60 mins. chiled to 78 degrees. added 2 gallons to make 5 gallons pitch yeast at 72 degrees.

If you just poured your yeast into the wort, it might take up to 72 hours to start, so don't worry about it. Many of us make a starter with liquid yeast, to help reduce that lag time.

Munich can convert itself, as can wheat malt, so you actually did a partial mash recipe by steeping those two grains along with the crystal. The recipe looks fine, as does your technique.

Thanks for the replies. I guess i'll buy some dry yeast and wait and see if anything happens tomorrow.

I'll assume you didn't make a starter. I'd wait on it before any pitching of dry yeast. Depending on the viability of your yeast all you've really done is under pitch and you'll get visible fermentation after the yeast cell counts get up high enough.

One more reason to make a starter when using liquid yeasts.

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone looking at it, I believe the Crystal 20 should only be 2oz per the original recipe from BYO.

Back