ideas to jazz up root beer extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsan

Reaction score
I want to bottle some root beer this weekend...I have several different varieties of root beer extract...wondering what people add outside of water, yeast and sugar to jazz these up any...

Sassafras tea concentrate, vanilla extract, lemon juice... Here's a recipe I put together recently I like.

4.5 lbs sugar
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 lb lactose
1/4 cup vanilla extract
2 oz root beer concentrate
6 oz sassafras concentrate, it isn't that concentrated
Water

Sugar, lemon juice and a little water in a pan. Get a couple of quarts of water ready. Cook sugar in the pan until it's medium caramel. Add the 2 quarts water. Fully dissolve sugar. Add lactose, fully dissolve. Add vanilla, root beer concentrate, and sassafras concentrate. Mix thoroughly. Add to keg. Add water to 5 gallon volume in the keg.

I've got some heavy toast oak chips soaking in Sailor Jerry's with a vanilla bean & some cocoa nibs. gonna add the chips & nibs in a bag to the keg or root beer and put more oak chips in the jar for a brown ale or maybe a porter recipe down the road.

Back