Cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdhasse

Reaction score
Anyone ever do anything with a cask? I have drank beers out if them before at bar or festival but thought about buying one for homebrew.

Thanks

Wife bought me one when I started brewing. 5 gal, new oak.

Here is what Ive done with it...

I soaked it and put an imperial ipa in it for 2 weeks. Was a kit beer, came out pretty good. Than I rinsed it out, drained it, an added a handle of Jim beam.

LeT that sit for 2 weeks, drained the bourbon back to the bottle and but my holiday ale in there for 2 months. Came out pretty strong on the bourbon flavor, people either love it or hate it. Rinsed again and put the bourbon from the bottle back in there, for about 6 weeks this time.

Drained that back to the bottle, gave the cask a star San rinse, and filled with 5 gallons barley wine that had spent 30 days in primary. Also bottled 3 bombers of the barley wine. Planning to leave this in cask 8 months. After 2 4 and 6 months will open bung and top off with one of the bombers.. After 8 months will bottle.

Not sure what comes next. Thinking RIS.

Back