The one that made you say, "Hmm."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
I just got back from picking up a growler of the beer that started my obsession with beers and brewing. It's the Twisted Kilt Scottish Ale from Thirsty Dog up in Akron, Ohio (literally a walk from work :D ).

Since then I haven't found in on tap around town but I remember it was the one that stood out about a year and a half ago from an intimidating selection of taps at the bar (there's 69 beers on tap, a lot to choose from) that me and the other new grad students went to during orientation. It was the only one I could drink at the time (I remember something called 'an Arrogant Bastard' was undrinkable to me).

Didn't know you could put things like caramel and color and all sorts of wonderful flavors and aromas into beer. Then I saw a peanut butter jelly stout bubbling away in a carboy at a new friend's house and I figured brewing was accessible to people at home.

I know a lot of ya'll have been in the hobby a lot longer than me and breweries come and go - do you remember which beer reached out and got you involved in craft brews and brewing?

Arrogant Bastard ;)

Among many other fantastic craft brews and hoppy behemoths it has been super easy in the past few years to get pumped about brewing! Started with all grain 10 gallon batches ;)
Never even took a look back. Expansion, expansion, expansion!!! Got a keezer now, kegging religiously, 30 gallons at all times :)

Life and brewing... So nice :)

Cheers

Honestly, it was a beer that i didn't like that kicked off my love of beer. I went to a brewpub and ordered their brown ale, had really high expectations and was let down, so I started my quest to find better beers, and here i stand today.

As far as what specifically got me brewing? I'd probably say Rochefort 10.

As far as what got me drinking craft beer? Probably Rogue Dead Guy.

I actually got hooked into beer by a homebrewer. My father-in-law made true brews nut brown ale. I tasted it and just was blown away. Three months later he bought me my own starter kit. As for craft beer, I would have to say that elysian has my heart. Bete Blanche was the tripel that gote hooked.

Because of not going to school and having a job (which paid way more than a 21 year old should have) and an older brother I got into craft brew once I could drink, but I was drinking mainly the bigger names and some local guys. The first Wow beer that turned me onto beer was Victory's Hop Wallop (or Hop Devil I forget it was at a small beer fest and by the end I kinda forgot everything I drank)

As far as what got me brewing, probably would be brewery tours and seeing that you can make your own beer if you just have the drive and passion, what hooked me was my early failures. I'm the kind of person who if I'm doing something wrong I find out what it is. And my early failures (which were due to first a poorly packed kit, and second to a stained plastic bucket) made me insane so I read both How to Brew and the Complete Joy of Homebrewing cover to cover in a few months (though I did skip some of the All-Grain stuff the first pass through, wound up going back and reading that after I had the books read and realized I could do this) and the pride that came from my first beer I brewed with my new kit on my own, that didn't taste like Warheads. Now I just want to brew as much as possible both on my own and with others.

The chemistry and the love for beer got me in to it, not any one particular beer. But now that I'm doing it, Bourbon County Stout, Mephistopheles, and The Beast are three beers I'd love to duplicate.

Back