First yeast wash attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_Wily

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I decided to give yeast washing a try cuz, why not? I took 4 jars, boiled them, cooled, added the boiled water to the fermenter swirled and dumped into the jars. Let em sit over night and saw good separation and a distinct 3 layers. I'm a little confused at this point (I already finished so hopefully I didn't fail).

So I have these 3 layers, a clearly liquid layer on top (water n beer), a middle cream colored layer, and a bottom brown/green layer.

I decanted a portion of the top layer because I just had too much for the final 2 jars I was going into. I poured the rest of what I had into the final jars, leaving most of the "middle" layer and bottom. Is the middle layer yeast I should be trying to harvest? Or not worry about it? I'm sure I have plenty of yeast in what I poured off, just looking for clarification on the details.

Cheers!

I drew a picture.

yeastwashsketchup.jpg

Thanks neosapien,

I kinda figured as much so I took a lil of it from each thinking it was probably what I wanted. If it doesn't work out I have another 5 gallons to bottle tomorrow and I'll just do it again!

Cheers

Should I toss my two jars in the fridge now or let em sit at room temp?

if you have your jars of creamy harvested goodness, go ahead and throw them in the fridge until you're ready to make a starter with 'em. you're good to go man. cheers.

Next time, add water to the fermentor swirl and let set 15-20 minutes....carefully pour from the fermentor into a large jar leaving anything that has settled out, let that jar set maybe 10 minutes and carefully pour that into your final jars again leaving the sediment. You will get cleaner yeast this way.

Next time, add water to the fermentor swirl and let set 15-20 minutes....carefully pour from the fermentor into a large jar leaving anything that has settled out, let that jar set maybe 10 minutes and carefully pour that into your final jars again leaving the sediment. You will get cleaner yeast this way.

I never thought about that. I don't add any water, but pour off enough to fill 3 1-pint mason jars and toss the rest. I might fill a half gallon next time, leave it 15 minutes and then fill my 3 pint jars.

I added the water to the fermenter but didn't let it sit, just poured right back into the jars. I'll let the next one sit for a few before pouring off. How long can I keep washed yeast in the fridge?

Wily, I just washed yeast for the first time too. My process went a lot like yours. From what I understand you can keep this yeast, refrigerated, for quite some time ( like a year). Just make a starter when you need it again.

Thanks for stopping by Brew-Jay, how'd your wash go? I messed up and tossed a good bit of mine but I still have some settling so thats good! lol

Thanks Brulosopher! I actually saw that about an hour ago and was reading through it. Great info!

Doctor_Wily said:
Thanks Brulosopher! I actually saw that about an hour ago and was reading through it. Great info!

My pleasure! Once you use this process, you'll never go back to washing used yeast. I've got a 6th generation WLP001 that brought a 1.056 beer down to 1.012 in 4 days, no off flavors and everything you'd expect from that strain. I'll be building up a 3rd generation WLP036 this week.

My pleasure! Once you use this process, you'll never go back to washing used yeast. I've got a 6th generation WLP001 that brought a 1.056 beer down to 1.012 in 4 days, no off flavors and everything you'd expect from that strain. I'll be building up a 3rd generation WLP036 this week.

That's impressive! I'm washing mainly just to familiarize myself with the process. Once i have a flask and build my stir plate (I'm a computer tech so plenty of parts floating around for it!) and get some other equipment I want to start making slants and stuff.

Doctor_Wily said:
That's impressive! I'm washing mainly just to familiarize myself with the process. Once i have a flask and build my stir plate (I'm a computer tech so plenty of parts floating around for it!) and get some other equipment I want to start making slants and stuff.

I wish I were (or was good friends with) a computer guy. I've wanted to build another stir plate on the cheap for awhile, but I seriously have no access to the innards of an old computer. Let me know if you'd be willing to work out a deal with me for a working fan and some magnets ;)

I wish I were (or was good friends with) a computer guy. I've wanted to build another stir plate on the cheap for awhile, but I seriously have no access to the innards of an old computer. Let me know if you'd be willing to work out a deal with me for a working fan and some magnets ;)

Will do. Once I get my next round of "dead" machines in i'll give you a shout.

Doctor_Wily said:
Thanks for stopping by Brew-Jay, how'd your wash go? I messed up and tossed a good bit of mine but I still have some settling so thats good! lol

I think the wash went well. I might have done similar to you in that I threw out some good yeast with the trub upon a re wash attempt. But I still have two mason jars with a good amount. Like you, I'm mostly after the learning experience.

Brulosopher,

Thanks for the step by step on your method. I agree that this makes more sense than washing yeast as long as you are making a starter anyway. EdWort posted that he harvests from his starters as well, but didn't document his method as well.

I am a beginner and have not yet even created a starter, (only pitching dry yeast), but I have been researching this and will most likely use something very close to your method of harvesting yeast when I start using liquid yeasts.

Brulosopher,

I'm going to harvest yeast from a starter I'm making this week using your method. Can you explain the benefit of the 250ml mason jar with 1/2 water? Why is that preferable to just saving the 500ml jar that you originally harvested the yeast into?

Thanks! (my 100th post by the way! Woot! woot!)

Brew-Jay said:
Brulosopher,

I'm going to harvest yeast from a starter I'm making this week using your method. Can you explain the benefit of the 250ml mason jar with 1/2 water? Why is that preferable to just saving the 500ml jar that you originally harvested the yeast into?

Thanks! (my 100th post by the way! Woot! woot!)

For longer term storage (4+ weeks), deoxygenated water is simply a more hospitable environment. You could easily get away with skipping this part of the process... I'm just a tad neurotic, and it's so easy :)

Back