Sub for Fruit PUREE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
I'm making a brew that calls for Apricot Puree 49 oz of it. It's the Oregon brand.

I checked on this product and it is an "Aseptic" Sterilized product.
So you can dump it right in your fermented beer.

My question is, Can I use these Apricot Halves that have no preservatives, and ONLY contain ; Apricots, Water and sugar? I would think these would be OK to use just like the Oregon puree?

If It's OK to use these, How would I go about it?
Puree in a sanitized blender without the juice from the can? Or would I also add what juice is in the can too?

Would I have to sanitize them in anyway? I know its not good to boil the fruit. Would I have to freeze the puree after I make it and Before I put it in the beer to maybe kill off any nasties?

I may just ferment this batch in a keg , soo Would it behoove me to put the Puree in, like a hop bag so I wouldn't have a crap load of sediment?

This question goes out to the "FRUIT EXPERTS" :mug:

2012-01-30_22-01-34_832.jpg

2012-01-30_22-00-15_143.jpg

2012-01-30_22-00-36_283.jpg

Purée them with some vodka. And put them in your secondary, the alcohol from primary will be enough to fight off nasties

Well thanks,

I did wind up fermenting in a keg, carboys were filled already. Soo when my Sg readings go down, Ill dump in the fruit. Let it sit for another week, Then rack to another keg. I will cold crash before I rack to this keg.

BTW, I used WLP 002 English Ale, I didn't realize before hand the recommendeded Ferm temps were only 65 - 68*.

Now thats a tight differentialtral. Anyone use this yeast before? Any Tips? I did get some bubbling for the 1st 2 days, Now it's none. I'm not worried about the bubbles, I'm fighting to keep between this spread. My Temp controled fermenterator is full, and this batch is on the outside on it's own LOL . Im reading more to lower temps than 65.

With this yeast, is that going to be OK? Or will it be stalling? Guess I should know if it is before I add the apricots!

Back