Laurelwood Free Range Red Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmooray

Reaction score
Im trying to make Laurelwoods NW Free Range Red, its my brothers favorite beer, and he keeps on asking if i can make it for him. It seems like a good excuse to brew so i have been working on a recipe. let me know what you think? the flavor should be more like a ESB, where the hops and malt are really balanced, with a grapefruit undertone and a really clean a crisp finish

grain Bill

9.5 lb. American 2 row pale malt
1 lb. Crystal Malt 60L
.5 lb. Crystal Malt 120L

Single infusion mash at 153 for 1 hour mash out at 165

Boil time 75 mins

1 oz cascade hops 7.4 aa 60 min
.75 oz cascade hops 7.4 aa 30 min
1 oz cascade hops 7.4 aa 15 min
1 oz cascade hops 7.4 aa 5 min

wyeast liquid british ale 1098 fermented at 65 degrees.

estimated OSG 1.058
estimated FSG 1.015
estimated ABV 5.7
IBU 58
SRM 12

That's one of my favorite beers as well and I tried to put together a recipe. It's similar to yours - I've got a pound of Crystal 80L instead of 60 & 120 and half a pound of Carapils just because. I've only got 4 batches under my belt and have only brewed recipes I found online so I haven't tried brewing it yet.

There's a video on their website and the brewer describes it as an "American ESB" so I was going to use Safale US-05. Let me know how yours turns out!

So i brewed my clone a couple days ago. heres what i decided to go with.

Grain bill
10 pounds american 2 row pale malt
1 pound crystal malt 80l
.25 dextrine malt (Just because i had some extra lying around)

mashed with 1.3q per lbs at 153 degrees for 70 mins. fly sparged with 4.5 gallons at 170 degree for 45 min. during the sparge my mash got stuck. :mad: but i was able to get it going again.

boiled for 75 min
.75 oz cascade hops 9.1aau 60min
2.5 oz cascade hops 9.1aau 15min
1.5 oz cascade hops 9.1aau 3min
1 oz cascade hops 9.1aau dry hopped

i ended up with about 5.5 gallons and a final gravity of 1.052. i was hoping for a little better efficiency but oh well. i can tell you right now that this beer is not nearly red enough to be free range.

I had quite the debate over what yeast to use for this beer. i tried to contact wyeast to see what they sold laurelwood but they never got back to me. so i ended up going with northwest ale yeast 1332. I am fermenting this beer in my attic the temp up there is a constant 57 degrees. im hoping that it will produce a beer that is complex and crisp with a mildly tart finish.

How'd this recipe turn out? I haven't been able to go to Portland in a while and really starting to get the hankering for a nice NW red. The Laurelwood Red is by far one of my favorites.

Hi all. I had some correspondence with the brewer back in 2011. In addition I suggest nuggets for bittering and the dry english strain. I can post a suggested recipe if there's interest:

Thanks for the kind words. Here's what I can tell you. Crystal malt is 15% of 60L. Hops are Cascade at 15 min and in the whirlpool. We do a 90 min boil here. We also run it through our hop back on the way to the fermenter through more Cascade hops. For a 5 gallon batch your looking at both kettle adds to be about 5 or 6 ounces I'd say. Kettle hops are pellets, hop back is flowers. Probably a lb or so would do it for 5 gallons. No dry hops on this beer.*Our yeast proprietary but I'd suggest an English strain. Keep the fermentation on the cool side.*Good luck and thanks for your interest.*

Yrs I am interested in a recipe /clone got laurelwood's organic red ale. Thanks ! Wayne

Back