Determining ppg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I have a pack of DME and I'd like to know if I can measure it's ppg by dissolving

1 Pound of it in one gallon boiling water and then using the Hydrometer .

Am I doing RIGHT ?!

Hector

Yes. The water doesn't have to be boiling though...you don't want any evaporation loss to throw of your measurement. Make sure you measure the weight of the DME accurately and weigh or accurately measure the volume of the gallon of water. And make sure your hydrometer reads 1.000 in distilled water.

Use distilled water - your tap water could be off by a point or two. Obviously, you don't need to do a whole pound in a gallon either. 1 oz in 1 cup of water is the same result.

I don't know what kind of scale he's using but if the scale's measuring tolerance is +/- .05oz and he's trying to weigh 1 oz, he would be 5% off. If he's weighing a pound, he's only .3% off.

Fair point. I forget not everyone has gram scales. 5% would give a +/- 2 point error - within readable range.

DME should be around 1.045, BTW hector. Don't forget to take your reading at the calibration temp for your hydrometer (60 deg in most cases).

Back