My first n00b OMG freaking outz post!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JByer323

Reaction score
Not really freaking out, but had a bit of a SNAFU towards the end of my second batch (brewed today) that I thought was funny so I'd share.

Full boil, cooled quickly, racked to 6.5 gallon carboy, SG reading (right on), baby rocked, yeast pitched. Cool, things went pretty smoothly.

Putting the bung and airlock in, stuff was slippery, ploink goes the bung into the beer. :mad:

So right now I'm laughing, relaxing, having a microbrew, and planning on racking into secondary as soon as I can. Mmm, Winter Baltic Porter with slight hints of rubber. :cross:

I'm assuming that one way or the other it'll end up all right, and if not, we'll chock this up to the learning process.

Anyone have any good ideas of how to get a bung out of a carboy once I've racked to secondary? That's gonna be fun... :D

Leave it, wrap the neck in sanitized tin foil and get another bung when you can.

When the beer finishes try the cork trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries, I've got another bung, the airlock is in.

That trick with the bag has got to be on the list of Top 5 coolest things I've ever seen, and even if it doesn't help to get the bung out, I'm going to start using it as a party trick! :D

Back