grolsch bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
In the used brewing equipment I bought among the gazillion long neck bottles there are 5 grolsch bottles. I like em and was wondering if there is a good place to buy a case of em? I can get em off of ebay but everyone on there seems to be trying to make a fortune off of shipping anymore.

try any brewing supply store online or locally. they all sell them and in brown. or start buying a bottle of fischer amber every night for a week or two and build up the collection that way. personally, i like drinking something out of them and not having to pay for shipping of empty bottles.

fischer amber? never heard of it.

fischer.jpg

There are a couple German Lagers in tall brown flippies on the market as well, I can't think of the name right now, but I have a few of those, and iirc the beer wasn't bad.

I just had one of these Fischer's and there was something off about it. Could not put my finger on it but did not taste right. It was also $2.99 for a 22oz I believe.

Love my grolsch bottles, picked up 93 bottles for .50 each from my local classifieds, also bought 2 car boys for 5.00 each off the same feller....i think it was a good deal:ban:

I buy grolsch and Fischer bottles from my local recycle depot for .25 cents each...$3 bucks a dozen...that's the cheapest i've found. Check local classifieds, kijiji, craigslist, etc....

I'll be looking for those. I like the fact that it's not green. Probably only get a few though, for beer making and taking some beer to parties.

I use green grolsch bottles for Apfelwein.

Find a bar that sells the beer & ask if you can have the empties. Otherwise, I've seen them on craigslist for $1 a piece.

I have found both brown and green flip tops on craigslist. Both were very cheap deals but the bottles did need some love to get them clean. I plan to use the green Grolsch bottles for cider and anything else unhopped.

I got 10 grolsch bottles from my local beverage place for .07 each! I also got a 8 of the fischer's bottles for .07, but could not get the gasket off to replace it. I tossed them, i didn't want to use them with the old gasket since they were bottles from "the wild." Any one have luck getting the gasket off?

Dave

Some Grolsch bottles are brown too, not just green...bit harder to find though. I was given two cases of them, original plastic cases(hold 16 in each) :)

As for the Fischer bottles and gaskets...i find the newer ones(well, ones that are recently bought from the stores now) have the gaskets glued on and can't come off. they never were like this...as i have many fischer's, and most of them come off. I'm sure you'd be able to cut em off, or maybe melt them off??? or get a replacement wire top altogether?? that's worse case scenario though.

I remember my early days of winemaking, I bought 20-30 of the from the beer store, dirty and fungused as hell...but i got them spotless, some bleach and a lot of rinsing!

Too bad it is now illegal for the beer store to sell their bottles, because i havnt had any luck buying even regular bottles from them!! I obtained all my bottles by waiting outside tbs and asking people to buy their bottles, worked well how can they say no :)

But yeah, those grolsch bottles sure are neat :) only have a few left now, wonder where they walked off to....

Try Craigslist. I posted something on there looking for pop top or Grolsch bottle, and a friendly local homebrewer sent me a respone saying stop by and I'll give you as many bottles as you want for free! Ended up with 3 milk crates full of grolsch bottles (green and Brown).

Also just got another response from there offering me a 5 gal carboy, more Grolsch bottles and a dozen 1/2 gal grolsch style growlers for $25.

I was just given 16 of the brown Grolsch bottles. They need new washers, but seem to be in excelent condition. Lucky find I guess!!! how do you guys go about sanitizing/soaking these? Will the wire rust?

I was just given 16 of the brown Grolsch bottles. They need new washers, but seem to be in excelent condition. Lucky find I guess!!! how do you guys go about sanitizing/soaking these? Will the wire rust?

yes, lucky find as the brown ones are more rare to find. Soak them in Oxyclean...i've had no probs with rust....

you can take the wire part off while you soak them if you're worried about rust. just clean it separately.

I found twenty brown ones, old with ceramic flip lids, on craigslist for free about two months ago. they are aging my oaked RIS as we speak. they really are stunning bottles

I love my grolsch bottles, too, but whatever you do DO NOT BUY THE GENERIC FLIP TOPS! I bought a 12 pack of brown flip tops from my LHBS since I was just short of a full batch worth of Grolsch bottles, and after futzing with the gaskets and wire bales for three batches, I just stopped using them. They wouldn't hold carbonation, and I know it wasn't the batch of beer, it was the cheap tops.

I usually find the 12 & 16 oz. fliptops at yard sales for 10¢.
1.5 liter Grolsch bottles from 25¢-50¢ each.

I love my grolsch bottles, too, but whatever you do DO NOT BUY THE GENERIC FLIP TOPS! I bought a 12 pack of brown flip tops from my LHBS since I was just short of a full batch worth of Grolsch bottles, and after futzing with the gaskets and wire bales for three batches, I just stopped using them. They wouldn't hold carbonation, and I know it wasn't the batch of beer, it was the cheap tops.
That sucks... :drunk:

I noticed a month ago that Midwest had a sale, you could get a 12-pack of brown 16oz flips for $2.00 or something like that, with any purchase over $25, but you had to pay for shipping.

Does anyone know where you can buy the rubber washers for these bottles? I have a bunch of them but the seals on most of them are going or gone.

Yep, no shortage of places to get this style of bottles. I've accumulated close to 200 Grolsch, Fischer and other assorted bottles of this style but, strangely, don't have anything in them yet! I overpaid for some of them early on before I learned to be patient and just look for good deals. They're out there.

Back