Picklese - Hot pickled cabbage. So good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyrd01

Reaction score
Picklese -

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar

I've started adding about 8 all spice berries to mine as well. And I just use the pre-made coleslaw packs rather than slicing cabbage and carrots.

Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces. Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

I know the peas sound weird, but they are truly my favorite part. You must add them frozen so they don't get smashed. Once your picklese is ready to eat you'll see the peas turn in to little flavor bombs. I actually put closer to a cup of peas in mine because I like them so much.

If you can't find Scotch Bonnet peppers in your area, habaneros will work. I found that habaneros are actually hotter than some Scotch Bonnets that I grew myself.

I have had picklese on hot dogs, brats, pulled pork sandwiches, fish tacos... I'm sure there's more. Try it on everything. It's delicious!

Here's what it looks like on a couple of brats! As you can see, I pile it on!

2013-02-20193503.jpg

Enjoy!

This looks great, on my "to make" list, I like it HOT though so will most likely use Naga's or Red Savina's instead of the Scotch Bonnets. What type of vinegar do you use?

I just use plain distilled vinegar. And the idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low. I actually use a big plastic jar that Costco sells their mixed nuts in. It's much easier to fit all of the ingredients in it rather than try to stuff it all in a quart size mason jar.

Post back once you've tried this. I'd like to know how it turns out with the super hots!

I have 5 one-gallon bags of Habenaro's and Scotch Bonnets in my Freezer and am always using them in sauces and pickling, etc. I have made a similar pickled cabbage, but this version looks great and I will be whipping up a batch in the next week or two.

You are right - it is great on all kinds of sandwhiches.

Made it last weekend pretty much as described except I used Red Savina peppers and used mixed frozen peas, carrots and corn. The result - very nice stuff! I would make a few tweaks for next time as the heat was a low and the sourness was high. I guess this may solve itself over time as if I re-use the same brine the vinegar would be less and less potent but the heat would build.

I made a bunch of this based on a thread at thehotpepper.com and it was great. I made some lacto-fermented batches too using brine in place of vinegar. Either way it was delicious (the fermented version was sweeter). Great condiment, only problem is when you run out of new things to try it on.

Would super chillis work in this instead of the scotch bonnet?

habaneros, bhut jolokias, fatali, trinidad scorpion, use whatever you want (adjusted for your own taste and tolerance).

But it comes out great scotch bonnets, if you want to increase the heat your best bet would be to just add more

I also got the recipe from the hot pepper. I used habanero peppers in mine.
very tasty. Like hot and spicy relish.

Back