Forgot yeast nutrient & energizer. Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperypick

Reaction score
Hi there all.
Last night I made 5.25 gallons of mead, with an OG of 1.127. I pitched 2 packs of Wyeast Sweet Mead at 88 degrees F.
This morning I realized I had forgotten to add yeast nutrient and energizer, additions suggested by the recipe.
My questions: Should I be concerned? Is there any way I can safely add it to the must now that it is in the fermenter?
Thank you.

Open the top and just add them. Give the must a good stir with a clean spoon or whisk. You'll be fine.

slipperypick....just be aware that a high gravity like yours may not take off, especially when paired with this yeast, even with two packs. You pitched it when the must was 88F, yet pitching instructions advise to pitch when temp is 70-75F--you may have issues. Do you have a plan in the event your ferment does not start? It seems that this particular yeast causes problems for many.

Did you mean to start this with such a high gravity, a potential of 17+% with an OG of 1.127 at 88F? Or is that OG already calibrated to your hydrometer? 4184 yeast has a potential ACV of 11%, which means you would only need an OG of around 1.085 at 60F. As it stands now, if this yeast ferments to 11%, you should have a FG of around 1.040'ish, and it will be on the sweet side for sure.

I did notice you said your temp is 88F, yet the temperature range noted by Wyeast for Sweet Mead Yeast 4184 is 65-75F. What is must temp now?

Back