Iron Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-medic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I had a guy come up to me this afternoon, and was wondering if I have heard of something called Iron Brew.

This man is a local historian at the local library; and according to him, it was given to Iron miners that was not a hard drink, but rather a soft drink so as not to get get the miners drunk. That I couldnt figure out, dont we all do our best work tipsy? Besides, its not like they were operating heavy machinery.

I digress, it is a citrusy drink that has an orange colour to it.

Anyone hear of it? Or have a recipe of it?

Could it actually be "Irn-Bru?"

Wikipedia had an interesting piece on it, I guess it's still made commercially.

It's scotland's national non alcoholic drink I guess and has quite a history and even some controversy.

Irn-Bru is a carbonated soft drink produced in Westfield, Cumbernauld, Scotland. It is made by A.G. Barr of Glasgow since moving out of their original Parkhead factory in the mid-1990s and at a second manufacturing site in Mansfield, England. In addition to being sold throughout the United Kingdom, Barr's Irn-Bru is available throughout the world and can usually be purchased where there is a significant community of people from its native Scotland. Innovative and sometimes controversial marketing campaigns have kept it as one of the best-selling soft drinks in Scotland, where it competes directly with global brands such as Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

It is popularly conceived that the name 'Irn-Bru' originated with the re-building of Glasgow Central Station in 1901. When workers from the William Beardmore and Company Steel Works in Glasgow were dying from the large amounts of beer drunk to quench their thirst from the heat of the steel works, an alternative was sought.[by whom?] A local soft drinks manufacturer, A.G. Barr, approached the steel works and a contract was created to provide the workers with this drink. This unnamed drink later went on to be known as 'Iron Brew' because of its connections to the steel (and iron) works.

It's available in Canada-

Canada

Irn-Bru sold in Canada contains no caffeine, as until recently only dark coloured drinks were permitted to contain caffeine. As a result of this, and the omission of quinine, the taste is different, and the restorative effect is almost nil.

The now-defunct McKinley/McInlay soft-drink company in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada, for many years offered its own non-licensed beverage called 'Iron Brew'. It was a brown carbonated soft-drink with a fruity cola taste. After the company stopped operations around 1990, PepsiCo continued to sell the drink locally as 'Cape Breton's Irn Bru'. The packaging consisted of plainly labelled plastic bottles (black text on a featureless white label) and a disclaimer 'Not a source of Iron'.

The standard Irn-Bru distributed in Canada also contains the 'Not a source of iron' disclaimer on the label.

Their commercials are interesting.

(Warning contains old people nudity from the rear)

They seem to strive on read nudity...

Evidently it has girders in it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I did find that, I am just interested as I found this mail order extract kit.

I checked the patents, but they were just for the post card.

Apparently it was sold in Canada, but most likely because of the vast amounts of immigrants, and maybe, due to the national railroad

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

My wife grew up on this stuff, as did her Dad, and his Dad before him etc etc. But then again she's from Scotland.

Over here (UK) Irn-Bru is extremely well known, but only available in major supermarkets normally unless you get 'North Of The Border' in to Scotland when it's just about in every shop.

Not a massive fan myself. I don't know if you have Tizer over on your side of the pond, but it's a bit similar to that.

I agree. I spent a lot of time to try and hunt it down and try it. When I did I was quite dissapointed...awful stuff! :)

Back