new to grow, please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papabeach1

Reaction score
hello, im usually growing algae plants, aloe vera, any organic [MOD EDIT - inappropriate content for HBT], anyway.. I was wonder about growing some hops from seeds, or does it have to be from rhizome ? I can start by germ the seeds, or by roots by aeroponic then from there and take it outside with strong fence to grow by it, it will be nice to grow it all year, but I dont think it can do that.. which is fine with me.. just would love to yeild some hops and brew it at home!

any pointers? and helps will be appericated.. 2 cents methods will be nice too..

also where do I can get seeds or rhizomes? im new and would love to start right away!:eek:

You have to buy rhizomes (hop seeds are available, but hops do not breed true) and they won't be available until March.

thank you everybody, now I can call them and from there I will work with the strings to get that roots, I want it is it possible to grow it indoor until spring comes and plant it outside and let it grow up to 16ft taller? and is there a way to thank the posts?

You can start indoors if you like, but at any rate, the first year will not produce much and the plants will not be as tall as they will the second and third year. The plant will still be making adequate root systems during that time. You can do a search for places online who sell rhizomes. one of them has a download to a PDF document that describes methods of planting, etc. Very good book.

thank you everybody, now I can call them and from there I will work with the strings to get that roots, I want it is it possible to grow it indoor until spring comes and plant it outside and let it grow up to 16ft taller? and is there a way to thank the posts?

You cannot control its growing indoors. If you try to start indoors to early it will grow out of control and you will screw up the plants natural clock that tells it when to go dormant, when to grow, and when to produce flowers. Like previous members have stated, you cannot buy the rhizomes until spring. Just wait until spring the get on ebay and look up Hops Rhizome or go to your LBHS. It's just that easy. Btw, growing hops can be extremely difficult as they are succeptable to many different pests and diseases. You need to read all you can on propagating them or you will probably end up wasting your money. Also try and find out which varieties do best in your climate. Good luck

Back