Filled a pin with IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
... and will tap it on August 1st.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/bamjaydoc/RYPA_pin/

My friend bought this for his wedding, and periodically gets it refilled at a local brewery (who has even borrowed it for events!). As we were drinking out of it (Pale Ale dry-hopped with Simcoe) for his daughter's birthday, it occurred to me to whip up a batch of my IPA and fill'er up!

Brewed the IPA on 6/21. http://picasaweb.google.com/ed5275/BrewDay62108 Came in a little low on my volume (only my 3rd AG batch). Used the leftover Simcoe to bitter at 60 (you can reuse dry-hopped leaf hops for bittering down the road), Centennial at 30 and Cascade at 2. As you can see above, he crammed a big bag of Cascade in to dry-hop. I love nothing more than beers DH'd with Cascade.

So we added minimal priming sugar (less than half a cup + pint water) and sealed her up. It's conditioning in my tub for the next 3 weeks at 65*. A few days before, we intend to throw it in the kegerator and chill it down there to 40*. Then, day-of, I'll take it out in the morning before work and leave it on my bar (always 65*). We figure by nightfall it'll be somewhere in the mid-50 degree range and ready to serve.

Gotta figure out all the "hammer the shive into the tut" stuff... I mean, I know the concept, but as far as when to do it and vent off the gas... I guess we just listen to the beer gods. :drunk:

We're only going to have about 20 people over to drink it. People who will appreciate what they are having, lol. :rockin:

Thoughts? Everything seem/look good?

Looks good to me! Which local borrows it, Appalachian or Troegs? :)

When you get round to needing to figure out all of the shive, tut, clump mallet, etc. jive, PM me. I can walk you through it; I flatter myself that I know my way round Real Ale.

Cheers,

Bob

Mmmm...Troegs Hopback Amber.... :D

Anyhow, now that my little Happy Place is over. That site is Good Information. If you're going to be using the pin a lot, I recommend Cellarmanship, from the Campaign for Real Ale. If you'll pardon the pun, it's indispensable.

Cheers,

Bob

i work in a real ale pub and regularily deal with Firkins and Pins.
You will want to spile(semi porous wooden peg in the whole on the top) about 12-24 hours before drinking you will also want to let it sit for at least 12 hours to let the yeast settle out. i reconnmend getting a cask breather which is a peg that goes into the hole on the top and is connected to a CO2 bottle otherwise the beer will oxidate in 3 days and 20L is a lot to drink in 3 days (i know CAMRA disagrees with this but we are talking home brew to CAMRA approved real ale).

+1 on checking condition with a soft spile. The cask breather is overkill, though. In the original post, he mentions that 20 people will be coming over specifically to drink that. That's ~40 pints, or two per attendee. Depending on the level of enthusiasm, that pin could kick in an hour!

Cheers,

Bob

UPDATE: it was super!

IMG_0694.jpg

Agreed!!! Slightly undercarbed for my taste, but I've already had an "offer" to bottle a case of this IPA (undercarbed - goes down easier for him) for one of the party guests.

The flavor was fantastic... Love Cascade dryhopping!!!

Back