BGE - - Wtf?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so I've cooked on this Big Green Egg three times and all I can say is Holy Crap!
Yesterday I did a tied pork loin roast with this rub on it :

2t Chile Powder
2t Black Pepper
2t Kosher salt
2t Ground Cumin
2t Oregano
1t Granulated Garlic

(probably good on chicken too, Birdy)

Then cooked it on the 'Egg @ 225F until the internal temp hit 145F, then I let it rest and ramped the egg up to about 600F, seared the roast and served.
I could not believe how juicy the meat was, and I cooked it for about 4 hours without any cover on it - Easily the best pork roast I've ever done.
Another thing that really impresses me about the Egg is how easy it is to set the temp and hold it there. Adjust the dampers and walk away!

Thanks Ed! This thing is crazy-good. Everyone needs a BGE!

Damn, that sounds good. What's "granulated garlic"? Fresh, or dried garlic flakes? You freakin' Canucks and your weird terminology... :rolleyes:

Damn, that sounds good. What's "granulated garlic"? Fresh, or dried garlic flakes? You freakin' Canucks and your weird terminology... :rolleyes:

There are two types of dried garlic you can get. Granulated and powdered.

Granulated is a lot better in my opinion because it doesn't fly around like powder and is easier to measure out.

It's everywhere on the store shelves.

CC - That sounds like a good rub.

I've only seen it labeled as granulated around here in Seattle too. I <3 it on popcorn.

That sounds delicious!

Believe me when I say, I want one of these as well, but I'd have to sell a kid to buy one.

410Z2gVcH0L._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

It's dried and make a great ingredient in dry rubs.

The term minced is generally used with processed fresh garlic. The dry form is granulated (like sand) or powdered (like flour).

The reason you want granulated garlic is that garlic powder will cake. Especially if it is stored a while. Nothing worse than a lumpy rub.

I'm patiently waiting to get my egg. I actually have a shell that my mother in law gave me last weekend. But after pricing the parts to get it up and running, it will only cost me about $100 extra to get a new one. I need: a new band with the spring assist, fire box, fire ring, bottom damper, grill, and thermometer. And of course, a few "eggcessories" (plate setter etc). I would probably still fix it up but I'm concerned that it's not actually an BGE at all. It's a light green color and does not say Big Green Egg on it anywhere. Its possible that BGE part will not fit it, I would have to take it to a dealer to find out. The closest place to me that sells parts really pissed me off a few months ago, and I swore to the owner that I would never buy from them again. I really don't want to show up with my old cooker and be told that it's not an Egg and they can't help me.
Looks like I'm going to have to wait until Eggtoberfest to truck down to Atlanta to pick one up.

Latest posts

Back