Check my numbers please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeister

Reaction score
I figured I would run these by you guys before I brew this time. Does this look right for a stout?

3lbs Light Ale (LME)
4lbs Dark/Chocolate (DME)
1oz Galena (60mins)
1oz Chinook (30mins)
1oz Northwest Golding (10mins)
1tsp Irish Moss

5 Gals.
O.G. -->1.0536 O.G. = 3*36/5=21.6 (1.0216)
4*40/5=32 (1.032)
IBU -->78.87
12*.229*75/5=41.22 (60mins)
12*.175*75/5=31.50 (30mins)
5*.082*75/5=6.15 (10mins)

Cheers!! \_/

You really should steep some grains with that. It will end up being a much better beer.
Add .5 lb of chocolate malt and maybe some roasted barley to fix that.

If it is a stout, you'll need it for color anyway, the color right now is only like 11 SRM, stouts are 40.

With those hops, I'm getting almost 90 IBUs in promash.. The BU:GU ratio in your recipe is like 1.5. That is going to be one bitter mofo.

What formula do I use, because I was using that howtobrew.com stuff. I'm trying to make my own stout recipe so I don't want to use a generic, any suggestions other than the malt?

I haven't run the #'s through any calculators, but if Dude's #'s are correct on the IBU's (and I have no reason to believe they aren't) I'd cut the hops in half, although that's somewhat dependent on what style of stout your aiming for.

i got 1.056 og and 53-55 ibu's thats 20 percent utilization for 60 min, 10 for 30, etc...either way id say its alittle aggresively bittered for a stout, throw in some roasted barley and cut the galena hops in half and you should be good to go

You need some roasted barley to make it a stout. You can steep some roasted barley with some additional malts such as Ivan suggests or start with a stout kit and add some malt extract to obtain 7lbs. Second, the hops do seem a little high. One ounce of chinook or galena for 60min should be plenty for a stout.

I did this one have it on tap - it is pretty good for old extract and reference. I'd not say a great one but......its green still

7lbs dark liquid extract
8 oz malto dextrin
12 oz crysal 60L
4 oz black patent
4 oz roasted barley
2 oz northern 60 minutes
1/2 ounce fruggle 5 minutes
nottingham dry yeast

og 1.050ish
fg 1.020ish

I said pretty good

Back