Looking to do Simcoe Amarillo IPA extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbob_beer

Reaction score
Buddy and I are ready to venture from the kits on batch #3 and try a hop heavy, piney, earthy IPA. Done some research and noted that to balance out the amount of hops we are going for (somewhere in the neighborhood of 9-12 oz during the 60-75 min boil) we'll need more extract to balance the bitterness out. We are not afraid of a strong beer (being from Delaware and being hopheads in general we're big fans of dogfish 75 and 90 min), so we're trying to figure out the right grain/DME/LME combo to use. Ay insight would be much appreciated.

Brew your own magazine put out an issue called 250 clone recipes. The owner of Russian River Brewing gave them the recipe for his Pliney The Elder IPA. The recipe includes all grain or extract and has over 15 oz of hops.

The hops include simcoe, centennial, Columbus, warrior, and chinook. OG. 1.074.

I was given a 6 pack smutty nose brewing Finestkind iPA over Xmas and found this beer to be very good and different. So I looked it up and it uses 2 of the hops you were looking to use. I too was looking to come up with something piney with a bit of citrus so I have a plan to use the simcoe and cascade but have after tasting this one was thinking about the amarlio instead to get something like this beer. I copied the following from there website, it has a 75 Ibu rating and i thought was a very good beer. Maybe this helps.

Color: golden

Malt Bill
North American 2-Row, Crisp Pale Ale, C-60

Hops
Bittering: Magnum
Flavoring: Simcoe, Centennial, Santiam
Dry hops: Amarillo

Starting Extract 15° Plato
Terminal Extract 2.7° Plato

ABV 6.9%

IBU 75

Sounds like you want a West Coast IPA with a little bit of added earthiness. The Simcoe & Amarillo combo will lend a piney, fruity, citrusy IPA. For earthy, you'll need another hop... like Willamette.

For 9-12 oz. total hops (Including the Dryhop), I would shoot for 1.070-1.075 OG.

Use Extra Light DME - 40-50% added at boil start and 50-60% of it at flameout. About 3-6% Crystal 10,20,30,40 (your choice) for preboil steep. You'll also need a high attenuating yeast like WLP001 or WLP090 w/appropriate sized starter and about 8-10% total corn sugar to aid drying out the beer so you're not left with a sticky sweet 1.018-1.020 FG.

bobbrews said:
Sounds like you want a West Coast IPA with a little bit of added earthiness. The Simcoe & Amarillo combo will lend a piney, fruity, citrusy IPA. For earthy, you'll need another hop... like Willamette.

For 9-12 oz. total hops (Including the Dryhop), I would shoot for 1.070-1.075 OG.

Use Extra Light DME - 40-50% added at boil start and 50-60% of it at flameout. About 3-6% Crystal 10,20,30,40 (your choice) for preboil steep. You'll also need a high attenuating yeast like WLP001 or WLP090 w/appropriate sized starter and about 8-10% total corn sugar to aid drying out the beer so you're not left with a sticky sweet 1.018-1.020 FG.

Sorry to seem like too much of a newbie but first how much (lb) of dme? And second, why a dme over a lme? Again I really appreciate any insight.

Back