Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvisali

Reaction score
Hello all-

Have what is probably going to be a ridiculous question:

I have racked to my secondary. The beer is clearning a little whichis nice to see. But when I was racking(it was my first time), I definitly picked up some of the trub(sp?) and it flowed into the secondary. Now it looks like the trub is floating in the beer. A bunch of sediment has settled to the bottom of the carboy, but there are these chunks of stuff still floating around throughout the beer and not settling.

Is this normal? When I rack to my bottling bucket, will most of these 'globs' be left behind if I rack properly? Are there any secrets to leaving it behind(I thought I read some cheesecloth over the bottom of the autosiphon may help)

Any thoughts/advice/help appreciated

just be careful when you rack to the bottling bucket. more than likely it's just hop and trub debris floating around. allow it to set for a couple days undisturbed. i would set it where your going to rack into the bottle bucket a day or two before too, so what ever get's jostled around can ease back to the bottom prior to bottling day.

Thanks guys...hopefully it will settle, beer has been in the secondary for about 3 days now and it still kind of flopping around, will let you know how it goes!

my last brew, a mocha java porter, sat in the secondary for a month before i bottled it. even after a month there were still chunks of grain floating around in it. when i bottled it all got left in the bottom. in other words, dont worry...unless youre obsessed with having the clearest beer in the world.

Even if you do get some in your bottles after bottling......
When it comes time to drink your beer, after a couple of them, you will care less about what is floating around in your beer. :D

loop

loopmd said:
Even if you do get some in your bottles after bottling......
When it comes time to drink your beer, after a couple of them, you will care less about what is floating around in your beer. :D

loop

hahaha! good point loop :p

The guy who owns the brew supply store i go to once told me that he even sometimes racks into a third to help settle debris. Havn't tried it yet but I will once my brew is at that stage, if it needs it.

Back