American IPA Tiber's Hop-Burst IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiber_Brew

It's about the beer.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
2000 mL
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68-70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Very floral, and not too bitter. Balanced malt presence.
This is for an 11 gallon batch, using 85-ish% efficiency. Adjust for your efficiency and batch size if necessary.

Grain:
22 lb 2-row
.75 lb Munich malt
.5 lb Honey malt
1 lb C-20

Mash at 152F for 90 minutes

Fly sparge with 172F water for 40 minutes

Boil: 90 minute total boil
1.25 oz. Summit 15.5% aa........20 min
1.5 oz. Amarillo 10.1% aa.........15 min
Irish moss..............................15 min
1.5 oz. Summit.......................10 min
1.5 oz. Amarillo........................5 min
1.25 oz. Summit.......................3 min
1.25 oz. Amarillo.......................0 min (flameout)

Ferment with clean ale yeast around 68F and let rise to 70F until completed. No secondary fermentation.

Dry hop with 1.5 oz Summit + 1.5 oz. Amarillo per each carboy for 5 days.

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.012
ABV: 7.2%

Picture:
hopburstIPA.jpg

Aroma:
Strong citrus and grapefruit on the nose. A little malty aroma with subtle honey malt notes. Low esters.

Appearance:
Light copper in color. Thin white head that leaves lacing on clean glassware. Clarity is moderate, but this beer is best enjoyed young to appreciate the hops, which is usually before the beer clears up in the keg.

Flavor:
Very hoppy, with citrus, grapefruit, and pine in the foreground, but very noticeable malt and subtle honey on the back end. Somewhat dry malt balance compliments the large amount of hops in this beer.

Mouthfeel:
Low-medium body, just enough to put the hops to the front. Medium carbonation. At only 57 IBUs, this beer is easy to drink, but won't disappoint hop heads alike.

I thoroughly enjoy this one. It's easy drinking, but full of flavor and actually quite balanced for an American IPA.

If you brew it, please provide feedback. :mug:

TB

Looks interesting. I like the hop bursting technique too, been using it for awhile ;) Did you use Marris Otter for the base?

Looks interesting. I like the hop bursting technique too, been using it for awhile ;) Did you use Marris Otter for the base?

Not Marris Otter, just 2-row pale malt. An M.O. base would be interesting to try, though.

Been using the hop burst method for a while with good results. For me, it was a matter of finding the right malt/hop combo with this method.

tasty looking recipe.

I have been wanting to brew with Summit recently. Sounds like a terrific hop. How does it compare to Amarillo?

tasty looking recipe.

I have been wanting to brew with Summit recently. Sounds like a terrific hop. How does it compare to Amarillo?

They're both kind of citrusy, but to me Summit has more grapefruit characteristic to it. Amarillo reminds me more of a Cascade kind of citrus. It was just a matter of combining the two right. I've tried adding more varieties to this recipe, but I still like just the Summit and Amarillo combo the best.

I would say amarillo is more grapefruit and summit is more orange/delicious. But nothing compares to the holy grail of hops: citra!

Petekiteworld said:
I would say amarillo is more grapefruit and summit is more orange/delicious. But nothing compares to the holy grail of hops: citra!

Really? I could have it backwards.

EDIT: also, using Citra with this recipe might not be a bad idea. I have not tried that variety with this recipe yet. Thanks for the idea!

Tried this with Citra a few months ago. I gotta admit, I'm not a fan. The bitterness wasn't as clean and smooth, and the Citra aroma kind of clashed with the Summit. My advice would be to save the Citra for use with varieties such as Simcoe or Aussie/NZ types.

Back