Apartment Tv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
My apartment complex (i live in a townhouse community) has told me i can only have comcast cable for TV. And for anyone who has had experience with comcast they know that they are the worst company ever. That being said i want to switch to another provider. I have searched and it seems like for cable wise comcast is the only choice, I asked if i could go dish and they said i cannot have one installed on the building..... is this correct? do i have any argument?

As long as your dish is not permanently mounted to the building, I don't think it would be a problem. I have seen lots of college kids clamp a dish on a deck railing and run the cable in a window or door.

If you own the building they can't stop you. Otherwise it has to be non permenant installation. You can get a tripod to mount a dish on. You have to have a southern view of the sky.

Im gonna have to ask the people who own the complex i guess,.... i have a back porch i could have a pole attached to with the dish on that.... they were very adamant about no dishes tho when i moved in

wubears71 said:
Apartment complexes (and homeowner associations for that matter) cannot restrict satellite dishes as directed by section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. They can specify how it has to be installed, but they are not allowed to ban them. Here is some good info on the law:

http://www.myrateplan.com/sat/condos.php

Wow thank you!!!! I got some ammo now.....

Im gonna have to ask the people who own the complex i guess,.... i have a back porch i could have a pole attached to with the dish on that.... they were very adamant about no dishes tho when i moved in

I lived in a complex that had a no dishes policy. I called the FCC and a letter arrived at at the management's office six weeks later; however this was over 10 years ago. After that, there was no ban on dishes. See my links above and they may help.

CliffMongoloid said:
Wow thank you!!!! I got some ammo now.....

One thing to remember is they can't stop you on the dish but that doesn't mean they can't make life hell. Be careful how hard you launch the ammo

Communist-cast SUCKS...!!!

Look into U-verse...they have been good to me and use telephone lines.

If your request for a dish was in writing/ email, and thereafter they raised your rent above what increases other units got (bc your rent should go up every year to keep with inflation, higher costs etc)-- you could argue retaliation.
check your local laws. It wouldnt fly here in SF CA. not sure bout PA.

The place I used to live required me to purchase cable even though I didn't want it or use it. They worked out some kind of deal with the cable company to provide service for all the apartments at a reduced rate and built the price into our rent. It probably saved money for people who already had cable but I didn't appreciate the extra 50 dollar a month rent increase.

Neither directv or dish network will install a dish without the property owner's approval, there's a form they want filled out. You could put up a post to get around it or the installer will put it on a post for a fee.

This reminds me I was going to set up a tripod and the pare Dish antenna and the receiver I still pay for each month. Just to take in the RV once Red Wings season starts up again.

You could easily (or without TOO much difficulty) set up a tripod on a deck if you can see the part of the sky that is required. I installed our first Dish back before they almost REQUIRED professional installation. It was super easy. Depending on what you wanted you could still do it yourself. I currently have 2 antennas on the roof for HD and Local channels and the regular channels.

I remember when I set up the single antenna many years ago I used a compass to get the first angle and then kept raising the dish until I got the inclination. The dish setup application has a signal meter that you can use to fine tune the direction.

Communist-cast SUCKS...!!!

Look into U-verse...they have been good to me and use telephone lines.

You must have had a fully different experience in your neck of the woods... We've been with u-verse for a while now and, when it's working (which, granted, is 99% of the time) it's great. But good luck if you need to call customer service for a problem. Worst customer service organization I've had the displeasure to work with. We had just made up our mind to switch back to Dish over the latest SNAFU, when someone pulled their head out and discounted our rate $30 a month for the next year. So they have a 12 month stay of execution while we figure out our plan of action.

Back