Recommended Barley Wines to try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshstokes122

Reaction score
I've been thinking about brewing up a barley wine, but I would like to try a few different commercial examples before I get too deep into recipe formulation. Right now I'm sipping on a Brooklyn Monster Ale. What other good Barley Wines are out there?

Stone, Old Guardian
Great Divide, Old Ruffian
Avery, Hog Heaven
Anchor, Old Fog Horn

Some of them, I like to age them a year at least.

Stone's Old Guardian
Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot
Green Flash Barleywine

I also prefer to age them at least one year.

Lagunitas Gnarleywine. Best Barleywine I've ever had.

I definitely agree!! Stone's Old Guardian is a very close second for me.

Brooklyn's Monster Ale is just ok to me, so if you liked that, you should love one of these others.

Great Divide's Old Ruffian and Avery's Hog Heaven are also very excellent, so you cannot go wrong there.

Personally I think Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is way too hoppy; the hops distract from the beer...but a lot of people really like it. I'd rather go for an Imperial IPA than drink Bigfoot.

I love Bigfoot because it's hoppy! :D In fact, that's why I made my barleywine as hoppy as it is. I also agree with the others....GnarlyWine, Hog Heaven, Old Fog Horn....all really good.

My favs are Flying Mouflan and Old Guardian. Wasn't a big fan of XS Old Crustacean, but everyone has different tastes.

It really depends on what's available in your part of the country and whether you're going english or american style. Bigfoot from SN is available once a year (after new years I believe) and is hoppy... almost a DIPA. The Monster you had is English style and is probably a bit sweeter and doesn't exhibit an American hop profile. Since you're in Indiana, you might be able to track down Behemoth from Three Floyds.

wonderbread23 said:
It really depends on what's available in your part of the country and whether you're going english or american style. Bigfoot from SN is available once a year (after new years I believe) and is hoppy... almost a DIPA. The Monster you had is English style and is probably a bit sweeter and doesn't exhibit an American hop profile. Since you're in Indiana, you might be able to track down Behemoth from Three Floyds.

+1

Both Bigfoot and Behemoth can be readily acquired in Indiana and both are two different but delicious takes on barleywine style beers. I recommend trying both and deciding which you like most and going from there. Behemoth can be pricey though. You're looking at $15-$20 for a bomber bottle based upon what I've seen.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Monster was OK to me. I tend to prefer hoppy beers, so I'll have to look for those that were mentioned.

One thing I'm curious about, and kind of alluded to by some other posters, what separates a hoppy barley wine from an imperial IPA? I noticed that IBUs for barley wines can actually be quite high.

I wasn't impressed with Monster. But as others have said, Avery's Hog Heaven, Stone's Old Guardian and Great Divide's Old Ruffian are all excellent choices to try.

edit:
One thing I'm curious about, and kind of alluded to by some other posters, what separates a hoppy barley wine from an imperial IPA? I noticed that IBUs for barley wines can actually be quite high.

I'm not as educated into what exactly makes each style individually, but I believe the consensus is that imperial IPAs focus more so on the hoppiness of the beer, while barleywine pushes everything: malty flavors, high alcohol and hoppiness.

Schlafly Reserve = amazing! And Williamsburg Alewerks Grand Illumination was quite good.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll throw my favorite out there. AleSmith Old Numbskull whets my whistle well. It's not overly hoppy, and not overly sweet, but nicely balanced in both regards. That is the way I enjoy most of my brews, balanced. Might be tough to find in Indiana, as I don't know if they distribute out there or not.

joshstokes122 said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Monster was OK to me. I tend to prefer hoppy beers, so I'll have to look for those that were mentioned.

Here's a good article on BU/GU ratios (Bitterness Units/Gravity Units).

http://finnhillbrewing.blogspot.com/2011/04/bugu-ratios.html?m=1

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll throw my favorite out there. AleSmith Old Numbskull whets my whistle well. It's not overly hoppy, and not overly sweet, but nicely balanced in both regards. That is the way I enjoy most of my brews, balanced. Might be tough to find in Indiana, as I don't know if they distribute out there or not.

+1 on Old Numbskull!!

Dogfish Head Old School. Their Fort is really good too.

images.jpg

sanibel14 said:
Dogfish Head Old School. Their Fort is really good too.

Albeit not a BW, Fort is amazing. Drank a bomber by myself--Beat my a$$ like a rented mule

Wow. I didn't expect this many recommendations. Thanks!

Couple more questions.

I was considering doing a hoppy barley wine with rye. How does this sound? Any on recommended barley wine on the list so far like this?

Also, what's the story behind all the "old" names for this style?

Schlafly Reserve is really, really smooth and yummy. The oak comes through well.
Old Fog Horn is, I think, a really solid barleywine, quintessential - it seems readily available so I pick some up occasionally and hold onto a bottle or two but drink up the rest
Old Ruffian is fantastic
Bigfoot is too hoppy if you get it when if first comes out, definitely one to age for a while.
Really Old Brown Dog is also pretty solid

Back