Daywalker Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matalec1984

Reaction score
Grain Bill:
7 lbs English 2-row
1 lb Cara-aroma
12 oz Melanoiden
8 oz Cara-pils
8 oz. Carared

Additional Fermentables:
1 lb. Honey @ 20 minutes (I used Tupelo)

Hops:
1 oz Willamette (60 min)
.5 oz Saaz (30 min)
.5 oz Saaz (5 min)

Irish moss @ 10 minutes

Yeast:
WLP-004

The color on this one is awesome, I will be sure to post a pic after I crack a bottle in a week or two.

I'm bottling this up today, It'll be my first bottling with my new beer gun so I'm very excited.

Picture to come!

Tease. :p

Seriously though, that sounds like a pretty cool recipe, although you may end up with less aroma/flavor that expected with only one late addition. Then again, it might be amazing. *shrug*

^^^

Yeah you make a valid point. From the taste tests it seems like it has a very nice malt character which is what I was aiming for being this a red and all. There may be room for a little more in the aroma department. I will trying it tomorrow so I will let u know.

Had a nice tasting of this today. I must say I was very happy with how this turned out. Very easy drinker with a solid nose and a nice malty characteristic.

In regards to the comments on the amount of late hops used. I don't know that I would choose to use more hops at the end next time but I may use a hop with a more citrusy note. While the aroma was present it was slightly bland. I suppose that works well for a nice session red, but if I wanted give it a little something extra that is what i would probably consider.

photo.php

Here it is finally...Had a family gathering on Sunday for the Pats game and was left with only two bottles of this afterwards so I guess people must have enjoyed it.

daywalkerred.jpg

Back