braid length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon cooler mash tin, currently using a supply line ss braid. The supply line I got seems to be too coarse of a mesh, so I want to replace it. The store I work at sells a stainless steel filter, about 4 inches long by 1 inch in diameter that looks like it would fit perfectly on the bulkhead of my cooler. It's pretty rigid, so I'm not concerned about it collapsing, but I am wondering if it's long enough.
The really nice thing is that it wouldn't have any loose wires at the end, so it would be easier to clean. Any thoughts?

I think that 4 inches would be too short. It would likely result in channeling which would reduce your efficiency.

so i went and actually measured it (what a novel concept, right?)
turns out it is 5.5 inches long and almost exactly 1 inch wide. it's marked 50 mesh, which is pretty fine.
worth noting as well is the fact that i batch sparge and most likely will not be stepping over to fly sparging any time soon.
here's a picture of the little beast.
IMG_20111219_132259.jpg

If you are using a round 10 gallon cooler, than 5.5 inches would work out really well, however, if you have a square cooler than that is way too short. Not sure on the 50 mesh part.

If you are batch sparging, length is insignificant. That will likely work well, but sometimes too fine a mesh will clog. The grain should be doing the filtering, the mesh is just to help the grain do its job. I would tuck the stray wires back inside the open end of your braid and use it. Water heater supply braids work very well. Not sure I like the idea of a rigid braid as you have shown?? Possible damage during the mash?

If you are using a round 10 gallon cooler, than 5.5 inches would work out really well, however, if you have a square cooler than that is way too short. Not sure on the 50 mesh part.
Denny has done experiments that show the length of the braid in a batch sparge doesn't matter. Why do you think this braid is too short?

rundownhouse is right the length of the braid for batch sparging does not matter. I have brewer 15 gal. batches with a braid about 4 or 5 inches long, I had no issue with run off.

Interested in this, how can I order one to try?

i'll check the brand when i get back to work on the 28th.
short story is you should be able to find one at a paint store. It's a filter for a paint sprayer pump (the manifold filter) we charge $7.99 for this guy. some styles are all stainless, like this one, others are stainless mesh with a plastic frame.

EDIT:
here are some part numbers and pictures. looks like you can get a coarser or finer mesh, if you want.
http://www.titantool.com/portal/us_guards__filters_en_titantool,355604,230635.html

graco brand parts are easier to find(home desperate and blowes carry them), but they use the plastic frame. i'd be concerned about the plastic at those temps, but who knows.

Back