Formulating my first SMaSH....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
My base malt will be MO,yeast will be wyeast 1056.Not sure which hop strain to use as I have Cascade,Amarillo,Simcoe and Warrior on hand.Your thoughts?

Amarillo!!!!!

Richbrewer and I did a beer swap a few years ago. He sent me a MO/amarillo SMaSH he made and it was wonderful! It was hopped like an APA, not terribly hoppy but with a great hops flavor balanced with the warm MO taste. I think that would be great!

After further research,I now see that I was mistaken.I apologize :)

Hahaha, it's ok. It's easy to assume that it's mostly guys on a beer brewing forum, and it is. But there are a surprising number of females here, too!

One guy told me a few years ago that he had a perception that I was a burly bearded guy named "Joe", probably because I posted Joe's mead recipe. I don't know why he thought I was big and bearded, though!

I'm actually a petite grandmother, about 135 pounds! :D

I did this with MO/Centennial and again with MO/Saaz, both with 1056 - you'll love it. Amarillo sounds like it'd be really good!

Also, I learned the hard way that an all-MO grain bill gums up pretty badly and that it needs a good dose of rice hulls.

I did this with MO/Centennial and again with MO/Saaz, both with 1056 - you'll love it. Amarillo sounds like it'd be really good!

Also, I learned the hard way that an all-MO grain bill gums up pretty badly and that it needs a good dose of rice hulls.

Oh, that's true! I don't need rice hulls, but mashing in with MO seems to be doughball city. Stir, smash, stir, smash. Add the MO gradually, stirring well the entire time. That will also help.

Hahaha, it's ok. It's easy to assume that it's mostly guys on a beer brewing forum, and it is. But there are a surprising number of females here, too!

One guy told me a few years ago that he had a perception that I was a burly bearded guy named "Joe", probably because I posted Joe's mead recipe. I don't know why he thought I was big and bearded, though!

I'm actually a petite grandmother, about 135 pounds! :D

Lmao@ big and bearded,thats hilarious..Glad to hear that there are females on this forum,prolly not as many women as Big bearded dudes.lol

YES - Did this (MO and Amarillo) and it is great ... for fun, did a SMaSH yesterday of 10 lbs Munich and 3 oz Amarillo ... chugging away nicely in the basement now..

Awesome,I am now boiling my MO Amarillo.Cant wait to taste!

Back