Bottle conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iliketacos43

Reaction score
About 6 days ago, I bottled my highly hopped APA. In the bottling bucket, it taste like a damn good APA with lots of hop taste. 6 days in the bottle (seems like carbing is almost done) and the taste is almost undetectable. Will the taste eventually show up again after some warm conditioning and lagering? Doesn't really taste like a pale ale now..

I don't know how it would lose hop taste within six days. The best prescription for this is to wait the usual 3 weeks from bottling and try again. As for overall time lines, hope taste will diminish over time (3+ months at least), certainly not 6 days.

Like djinn88 said, your beer shouldn't have lost all of its hoppiness in a matter of 6 days. If anything, carbonation should bring out more of the hops. Give it some time... What was your hop schedule?

On a similar subject I did a bourbon barrel stout and had a huge nose and flavor when I checked at bottling time, which is slightly less in the bottle. Pour it into the glass and it all comes back. My guess is that carbonation will help and that pouring into a glass will also give off more smell and taste.

I have no idea how the hop taste could have diminished over such a short time. I brewed a Belgian IPA that had ~124 IBUs and was very bitter after a week, but after 2-3 months, it was one of the best IPAs I've had (not tooting my own horn, just saying) because that hop bitterness was so much less after that time. If the hop flavor isn't where you want it after a few weeks, you can always throw a hop pellet or two into your glass when you pour it. This will bring out some hoppy flavor

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you think it could be from off flavors of the bottle fermentations covering up the hops, and maybe that will clear in a few weeks? I was careful not to oxidize at bottling as well

Back