Whoops, lots of trub in fermenter. Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsteggeman

Reaction score
I'm hoping the answer to this is RDWHAHB, but...

Brewed my first batch today, Lawnmower de Saison from Midwest Supplies. Everything went like clockwork, except I forgot to strain the wort when pouring it into the fermenter. I realized what I did about 1/2 way through pouring it in. I poured carefully, but there's at least half an inch of trub on the bottom of the carboy.

I plan to let it sit for about 3-4 weeks then bottle condition. Should I do anything, or just RDWHAHB?

Trub is yeast food... Id say you are doing just fine.

After 3-4 weeks your trub will be nicely compacted and out of your beer. Just make sure not to disturb it too much while your racking to your bottling vessel.

Sometimes I get almost no debris from the brew session in my carboy, sometimes I'm a little sloppy and get a lot. Either way, the beer comes out fine. No worries. :mug:

There is a school of thought that the less crap you move over each time, the clearer your end product will be. Leave all the break in the kettle; rack to secondary; use finings... I'm sure there is something to that, but it certainly isn't required. As The Pol said, other people say that that protein can actually help the yeast do their job, so may even be beneficial.

My personal point of view is to try to not get too much of the break material into the fermentor, but not to worry if some or all of it ends up in there.

Latest posts

Back