Best brew under 4%....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
i really love beer and i gotta cut back, baby coming...my easy drinkers have always been spaten, anything weihenstephaner, the hefeweissbier dark, kristall, right on up to vitus...big fan of taddy porter, actually anything sammy smith and taddy is less than 5, huge fan of dopplebock beers and ommegang for something different...my homebrews are always big flavored beers, I have a choc stout fermenting now...and rcently finished the ahs holiday ale.

oh, so my question, need to cut down on the alcohol, I drink 4-6 beers a day, sometimes one at breakfast, one at lunch and maybe 2 in the evening (16.9 oz, need the bottles for the homebrew), maybe a bit more on the weekend. i'm 42, in good shape, blood test just came back normal, all values. but i WANT to cut down on the alcohol and still enjoy my beer.

so far, i can tolerate pilsner urquell at 4.4 and i found a nice pilsner by Erie brewing at 4.2...hate amstel, can deal with the clauhauster (sp) n/a, but it bloats me and makes me burp a lot.
anything worth trying commercial or homebrew that is 4% or less? i've read about the anchor small beer, but no one can get it for me in jersey.

anything worth trying commercial or homebrew that is 4% or less? i've read about the anchor small beer, but no one can get it for me in jersey.

You should be able to get yuengling light lager in jersey..tastes decent for a light beer, 3.5+/-% ABV...you can drink lots of them. I had it on tap at the house.

thanks for the suggestion..i actually tried that last week...not bashing yuengling by any means, it has a cult following around here including my inlaws...it's just that all their beers leave a metallic taste in my mouth...even the porter, and i'm a huge fan of porters....it's gotta be my palate, no one else seems to mind....they actually have two lights, i think, a light and a lager light..not sure of the difference.

You should be able to get yuengling light lager in jersey..tastes decent for a light beer, 3.5+/-% ABV...you can drink lots of them. I had it on tap at the house.

i actually tried that last week...not bashing yuengling by any means, ..it's just that all their beers leave a metallic taste in my mouth...a light and a lager light..not sure of the difference.

You're not drinking it out of a can are you? It's much better out of the bottle, even better than on tap. The light is more of a BMC type product, the light lager has a bit more flavor(for a light beer) and a darker color than a BMC light. Good session beer.

Back